Moose/Zip-Ty oil filter cover fitment.
  • EKhatch

Moose/Zip-Ty oil filter cover fitment.

by EKhatch » Sun Jan 29, 2017 3:25 pm

I recently got a Moose/Zip-Ty oil filter cover for my 06 450R and when installing it I noticed the tolerances aren't nearly as good as the OEM cover. Where the machined parts go into the ignition cover where the oiling holes are the OEM cover is very snug. I would guess that there is ~ 10-15 thousandths clearance between the outside of the Moose cover and the inside of the OEM ignition cover. Normally I wouldn't' think anything of it but since pressurized oil is passing through this area it makes me think the OEM cover is machined to tight tolerances to make a seal between the oiling holes of the filter cover and the ignition cover. Will the loose tolerances of the Moose filter cover cause a drop in oil pressure or any other negative effects?

Thanks
    JimDirt

by JimDirt » Sun Jan 29, 2017 4:05 pm

You might PM Ken and see if he's heard of any issues like that (did you get it from him ??) , i know they are popular , so i would guess they would be OK as far as quality goes , but what your asking is a good question , as i would also guess that if the gap between the 2 passages are "loose" it might lessen the flow at least thru the filter area and allow the oil just to pour out of the gaps without going thru the proper passages , though i don't know what effect that could have on the top end, etc ... or other areas of the engine , since it does have a oil pump constantly pushing the oil everywhere , i am not sure what affect any gap in that cover would have on the flow characteristics of the rest of the engine area's ... :?
    2020 CRF450R
    2006 CRF450X
    Weiser , Idaho
  • EKhatch

by EKhatch » Sun Jan 29, 2017 4:41 pm

I'll have to look as I honestly don't remember if I got it from here or not. I've been slowly buying parts to rebuild my engine over the last 6 moths to ease the pain on the wallet and have bought stuff from a lot of different places. lol

I wonder which way the oil is going through those holes? If it is going into the cover then the oil would be forced through the actual oil filter from the inside out and visa versa if the oil was going the other direction. Not sure if that even makes any difference.

My only peace of mind is like you said in that they are a pretty well respected company and they have made/sold thousands of them so if it were a problem I'm sure they would have stopped making them or redesigned them by now.

I guess it might depend on how high the oil pressure is as well.

I haven't even tried starting the bike yet as I have ran into some other issue with putting everything back together like my hot start for my carb mysteriously disappearing off the end of the cable.
    JimDirt

by JimDirt » Sun Jan 29, 2017 6:15 pm

Yea long term projects have a way with parts hiding , it has to be in the vicinity though , unless you have Pack Rats (we have them here in Weiser) they will steal almost anything and take it to their nest

Here is a image from the 450R Service Manual , on Oil Flow ....hope that helps ..
    2020 CRF450R
    2006 CRF450X
    Weiser , Idaho
  • EKhatch

by EKhatch » Sun Jan 29, 2017 7:19 pm

Thanks for the photo. Looks like one hole goes to the oil jet that shoots up towards the bottom of the piston and then supplies oil to the cam. One hole provides oil to the small end of the rod and the crank and the last supplies oil to inside the ignition cover where the flywheel and balance shaft are. All pretty critical oiling points.

Dare I fire the bike up with the rocker cover off and see how much oil sprays everywhere? lol

Seriously though if I was really worried I could probably take the spark plug out and turn the motor over with a high torque drill from the the side of the motor where the timing marks are. Or just give it a few good kicks.
    JimDirt

by JimDirt » Sun Jan 29, 2017 8:36 pm

Yea ,i don't know how critical the tolerances are , or if the pump puts out enough pressure to compensate , personally , i just use the stock cover and polish it , but i have my ignition cover and valve cover Wrinkle paint black , and my engine cases are Satin black on both bikes , so the polished cover looks good with that

Between the 3ft of snow outside , and breaking my wrist at O.M.C. last Aug.practicing for the Old Timers MX, and then having several heart attack's on New Years (spent almost a week at St Al's in Boise , that was fun ....NOT....) , i hope i will be able to ride this year at all :shock:

So thats where i am at now as well , just looking at the bikes and wondering if i should buy new bars for my R (mine got bent in the crash) or just wait till i have more surgeries on my wrist to find out what kind of use i will have of my left hand afterwards (I'm left handed also so it really sucks right now)and what bend i will need "IF" i actually will be able to ride again , going on 6 months since surgery and its not looking real promising , it looks pretty much the same as Ken Roczen's does , but i have a lot more soft tissue damage and my hand was dislocated worse than his , so all i can do is stare at the bikes and try to decide if i should spend money on anything or wait till i know more how my hand is going to work....
    2020 CRF450R
    2006 CRF450X
    Weiser , Idaho
  • EKhatch

by EKhatch » Mon Jan 30, 2017 5:32 pm

Dang man that is crazy. A buddy of mine broke his femur and tore up his shoulder at the vintage race at OMC last year and I fractured my elbow at the short track in Caldwell last winter.

I think for the filter cover thing I am just going to paint my stock cover and put it back on. It might be a waste of 60 bux but the peace of mind will be nice.
    JimDirt

by JimDirt » Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:31 am

Yea , i am done with O.M.C. , they could care less about rider safety , as for the cover , black paint on the engine and some polish on some parts , makes for a clean blingy look

My 450X:(older picture from about 2008)

My 450R:(taken today)
    (taken last year)
    2020 CRF450R
    2006 CRF450X
    Weiser , Idaho
  • EKhatch

by EKhatch » Tue Jan 31, 2017 4:05 pm

Looks good man and I hear ya about OMC.

So I don't know why I didn't do this to start with but I had some time to swing by the shop that helped me build the motor and I asked them about it and they seemed pretty confident it should be fine. They said the oiling system works more off of volume than it does pressure and the whole filter cavity fills with out so the addition gap between the parts shouldn't matter. They have built tons of these CRF motors and they said that have run all different kinds of filter covers and oil coolers and never had a problem with oil starvation.

Also I like the all white plastics. That's how my bike is.
    JimDirt

by JimDirt » Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:15 pm

Yea this is what O.M.C. did to me last August , notice my hand is offset about half way from my arm

Yes i like the white as well , though i did the R in black so they are opposites

This is a couple more recent pics of the X
    2020 CRF450R
    2006 CRF450X
    Weiser , Idaho
  • Back2-2

by Back2-2 » Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:34 am

Good looking bikes Jim! I really like the blacked out forks.
    I did that on my CR250.

Hows the wrist ? Able to scratch your rear yet ??? :P
    Neil
    Black Hills of SD
    Life without Motorcycles would just be boring, really boring
    Honda 450X. Yamaha Tracer GT900. HD Fat Boy. Triumph Bonneville. Yamaha Majesty 400. Yamaha Grizzly. Yamaha Wolverine. Yamaha TW200
    JimDirt

by JimDirt » Fri Feb 03, 2017 1:32 am

LOL , i use my right hand for that now :-$ ....No the wrist/hand is still pretty bad off , its in about the same condition it was 5 months ago , just not as swollen , i can't make a fist and i can't straighten my fingers , i can't twist my arm/wrist so my palm faces up , its looking like its going to need at least 1 more surgery according to the hand surgeon , but its on hold right now as we are dealing with my lung issue now

Just had a CAT Scan and its confirming something is there , they also found i have a lot of Emphysema, so that ain't good either and was a shock to me , i knew i had Asthma and thought that was the cause of my wheezing when i rode or exerted myself heavily , apparently not .. , as far as the "nodule" the lung Dr. is fairly concerned about it , he says we have to be sure with a biopsy , and he is worried about its growth rate , as there was nothing there in Nov of 2015 , but there is now , so 13 months from nothing to something that shows on either side of the 4th rib

The main issue is , since i just had the Stent put in and am on Blood Clot meds , i can't have a biopsy till i am off the meds for a bit (not sure how long) but the issue is if i am off the meds long i risk having a blood clot floating around somewhere which isn't good , but if it is cancer and they wait a year for me to be off the meds (hopefully)then that could mean serious issues as well , so the plan is , we are doing another CT Scan in 4 weeks , then compare the 2 and see if its grown any or not over the 6 weeks between the 2 (the last one was done 2 weeks ago) , he said they can't use a needle to poke thru my side because of all the Emphysema , he said if it hits any of it , the risk is a hole in my lung that won't heal and a permanent collapsed lung , so that ain't good either , the only option is a endoscopy , but as mentioned , they can't take a biopsy without the risk of me bleeding severely in my lung ...which ain't good either

So pretty much i have 4 or so weeks of stress and waiting till i know which way this mess is headed , so far the new year is not much better than last year was , and it looks like i won't be riding anytime soon either , so not thrilled about that , any way you look at it , i have a long bumpy trail to ride , but this time , it won't be as fun going down it , the wrist , the heart attack and now this , is really a lot to deal with period , but all of it in a year is really a crapload of stress...... :cry:

***Sorry for the topic hijack EKhatch***
    2020 CRF450R
    2006 CRF450X
    Weiser , Idaho
  • Back2-2

by Back2-2 » Sat Feb 04, 2017 12:47 pm

Wow, that is one long string of tough times.
    Dang Jim, maybe you need to start a list of what's not wrong.
    You know why they have flip tops on beer cans ? For guy's with injured wrists or hands that can't do twist tops on bottles. :D
    Hang in there bud !
    Neil
    Black Hills of SD
    Life without Motorcycles would just be boring, really boring
    Honda 450X. Yamaha Tracer GT900. HD Fat Boy. Triumph Bonneville. Yamaha Majesty 400. Yamaha Grizzly. Yamaha Wolverine. Yamaha TW200
    JimDirt

by JimDirt » Sat Feb 04, 2017 7:45 pm

The unfortunate part of the Beer can tops is .... I don't drink ...... , so it does me no good :lol: , at the rate i am going , i am going to be 59 by the time i get to ride again if this stuff keeps happening like it has (i will be 58 in Aug and i broke my wrist 3 days before my 57th B-Day , and riding isn't looking good this year)....and then i am going to need a walker ,and a oxygen tank to get to my bike :cry: 8-[
    2020 CRF450R
    2006 CRF450X
    Weiser , Idaho
  • Aussiecrf230

by Aussiecrf230 » Sat Feb 04, 2017 7:58 pm

The unfortunate part of the Beer can tops is .... I don't drink ...... , so it does me no good :lol: , at the rate i am going , i am going to be 59 by the time i get to ride again if this stuff keeps happening like it has (i will be 58 in Aug and i broke my wrist 3 days before my 57th B-Day , and riding isn't looking good this year)....and then i am going to need a walker ,and a oxygen tank to get to my bike :cry: 8-[
    Could be worse could be training wheels and on-board oxygen.
    Think of them as upgrades.
    Ray
    Australia

CRF230F 2004
    C30F Power Up needle
    Mains 132
    Idle 45
    2 turns out
    Baffle out, Screens In

It starts,it runs,it gets to where all CRFs can get to without the valve or valve plate dramas