Knocking sound??
  • Robby de M

Knocking sound??

by Robby de M » Mon Feb 09, 2015 11:00 pm

Hi Guys

I recently bought a 05 CRF450R with an Athena 490 kit.
    First ride out the bike was fine but after a two hour ride noticed no oil in the window, the level was just under half(in between the high and low mark) before the ride.
    Now there is a knocking (also not sure if the sound was there before) sound in the engine at idle but you cant hear it when u rev the engine. Its more of a pinging sound.
    Can't see any visible oil leaks and no smoke out the exhaust.

We checked the cam chain was ok and no metal shavings in the oil/filter although the oil does seem to have a slight metallic tint to it when held up to the light? Is this normal?

I want to strip the bike down this weekend but my guess its most likely the main bearings? But the fact that there a no metal shavings has me confused?
    And where could the oil have gone?

Any ideas or suggestions would be highly appreciated!
    JimDirt

by JimDirt » Tue Feb 10, 2015 8:50 am

Sounds like a Oil Migration issue , i bet if you drain the tranny you will find double the normal amount of oil ,if so then the crank seal on the clutch side is bad , and what caused the oil transfer , its a easy fix

But with the knocking , you might want to remove the motor and do a complete inspection and replace anything out of spec (bad news , but it may save even more expense if everything lets go while riding due to a bearing failure), , the only other way to loose oil is thru the breather tube , usually this is a piston ring issue , causing excessive blow-by

If its the seal , its part #19
    http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche.com ... -CRANKCASE

It could be the sound your hearing (if you did not find metal *usually Brass* in the filter) ,could be the timing chain slapping (usually at idle when there is slack) , check all your timing marks , if any are off (usually the cam marks will be off and not perfectly level with the top of the head , when all the other marks line up), **i know you said it was good , but if ALL marks are not perfectly lined with their marks , even slightly off , then the chain is the knock (or really worn chain sliders , or the tensioner is not holding , it will "knock" as it clicks in/out trying to lock into position) , if your chain is stretched you wont have to completely tear the engine down , just the Ignition cover , and flywheel(get the correct flywheel puller for your bike) and valve cover and cam sprocket , it can all be done with the engine in place

Oh ! , Welcome to the site !! \:D/
    2020 CRF450R
    2006 CRF450X
    Weiser , Idaho