uni air filter issues
  • der_berger

uni air filter issues

by der_berger » Thu Jan 08, 2015 2:07 pm

Hey was wondering if anyone else has had issues with uni air filters? I've been running them for a while on my crf 450 and havent had any problems until now. I took my bike into the mechanic to get the carb cleaned and a few other issues with hard starting taken care of... Long story short my intake valves are shot and my bike needs a new top end. I only have like maybe 4-6 hours on a brand new head and valves only 2 weekend trips to the desert. Once to Glamis (sand dunes) and another trip to ocotillo wells (hard pack desert). The mechanic shop did a leak down test on my bike and said it was down 20% and stated it was from the intake valves an piston rings. Told me it was as a result of my air filter not properly sealing and sucking sand/dirt through the intake which took a beating on my valves. Has anyone else heard of this happening?
    JimDirt

by JimDirt » Thu Jan 08, 2015 3:38 pm

I use a PC Racing Filter Seal on mine (so you don't have to grease the filter seal) and i have not had any issues with any dirt getting into the airbox tube since , I use UNI Filters , and Moose Filters , with no issues

http://www.crfsonly.com/catalog/product ... ts_id/3205
    2020 CRF450R
    2006 CRF450X
    Weiser , Idaho
  • der_berger

by der_berger » Thu Jan 08, 2015 6:00 pm

yeah. i've ran uni filters on my bike since I bought it in 2010 I had the TRX OEM SS valves and got three years out of them. I just re did my head put a '07 head with kibble white ss valves form crf's only and Im having a hard time grasping that sucking some dirt or sand through the intake would destroy brand new valves in a max of 6 hrs of run time.
    JimDirt

by JimDirt » Thu Jan 08, 2015 6:50 pm

Not saying anything ....But .... did you ask to see the "proof" that the valves were toast ??

I have had Ferrea Stainless in my 450X since 2006 , as i got dirt in mine , and lost the stock valves in about 6 months , i have not had to adjust them since , so something seems odd here

I also just had Stainless put in my 02 450R and i do not have the PC Racing seal in it , and use UNI and Moose and after a season of riding , all is well , and i ride a sand MX track as well as a lot of desert
    2020 CRF450R
    2006 CRF450X
    Weiser , Idaho