frame polishing
  • dheyne

frame polishing

by dheyne » Sun Mar 20, 2005 6:08 pm

I would like to polish my crf 450 frame but I'm unsure on what polish to use, pads, tools, etc. Anyone else done this before? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
  • SkinS

by SkinS » Sun Mar 20, 2005 7:20 pm

dheyne
    I polished my frame with a soft cloth and a tube of semi chrome. You can get the polish at most high quality auto parts stores. Here is how to use it.

Remove the radiator shrouds. Use steel wool to clean the frame. It works very well on the areas around the foot pegs where your boots rub. Wash the bike with soap and water. Dry it with a clean rag. With a clean soft cloth squeeze a small amount of semi chrome polish on the corner of the rag. Rub a small area (2x2 inch area) until the polish turns black. Continue to polish with the clean rag. Once the color does not get any darker move to a new area on the rag and polish the black off. The result will be a mirror finish.

I touch up the polish once a month.

Good luck
    SkinS
    SkinS -902- CRF-450
    Las Vegas
    40+ moto-x
  • redrider911

by redrider911 » Sun Mar 20, 2005 8:29 pm

I bought this polish compound at Sears. I don't remember the name, but it comes in the shape of a stick of butter. There is brown and white. Get both, use brown to cut thru everything, then white to shine. I used the polishing wheel connected to drill. It's a lot of work and elbow grease. Only problem is when you polish it, you will always have to keep up or elese it looks bad.
    ockevin

by ockevin » Sat May 07, 2005 10:01 pm

I used the steel wool to prep the area and then used Mothers polish to shine it all up. Works great.
    2004 CRF250x
    Pro Circuit T-4 Pipe w/ JD Jet Kit
    Boyesen
    Works Connections skids
    Air box Mods, Pink Wire, R header
    Hammerhead Shifter
    Carbon Pros Header cover
    Doxo Seat cover
    UFo plastics
    Fineline Suspension Work
    Motomom

by Motomom » Wed Jul 12, 2006 10:40 am

SkinS wrote:dheyne
    I polished my frame with a soft cloth and a tube of semi chrome. You can get the polish at most high quality auto parts stores. Here is how to use it.

Remove the radiator shrouds. Use steel wool to clean the frame. It works very well on the areas around the foot pegs where your boots rub. Wash the bike with soap and water. Dry it with a clean rag. With a clean soft cloth squeeze a small amount of semi chrome polish on the corner of the rag. Rub a small area (2x2 inch area) until the polish turns black. Continue to polish with the clean rag. Once the color does not get any darker move to a new area on the rag and polish the black off. The result will be a mirror finish.

I touch up the polish once a month.

Good luck
    SkinS

Anyway we could see a picture of your frame? I've heard of people polishing their frame - but have yet to see one. Could you please post some close ups? Thanks.
    AMA Member - BRC Member - NMA Member
  • dave9280

by dave9280 » Tue Jan 27, 2009 3:01 am

Hey, someone posted about no one having pictures about the frames, well i i just started so its not much but u can have a look. this is my crf 250 06 model.