crf80 carb issue
  • LRussoPhoto

crf80 carb issue

by LRussoPhoto » Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:08 am

I just picked up an 06 crf80 for my daughter. When I purchased it, it wasn't running. It had been sitting for a long time and i could smell that the fuel was bad. I drained and cleaned the tank, took apart and cleaned the carb, put some fresh fuel and and it started right up. Im having an issue with the idle. I can't seem to get it right. I first started by raising the idle slightly so it was a slight high idle, I then tried to adjust the fuel screw by turning it in until the engine almost stalled then raising it till the the idle went high then leveled and then backed off slightly. Problem there was even when I turned the screw all the way in the engine still ran. SO I just backed it out one and a half turns and left it there. So now when I try to start it cold, I turn the choke on and it fires right up but the choke doesn't hold the idle up, if i let go of the throttle it stalls. If i turn the choke off its better but still won't idle till warmed up. If I raise the idle to keep it running the idle will be too high when warmed up. What am I missing?????

Also anyone know where I can download a free repair manual?
  • Kmaz101

by Kmaz101 » Wed Oct 21, 2015 9:22 am

I am having the same problem, bike was idling low and would stall if you didn't keep up on the throttle. so i adjusted the idle adjustment for it to idle nicely but when you go ride and let off the throttle the bike doesn't return to an idle it just stays reed up for atlas 5 to 10 seconds, it also backfires like crazy while going downhill. any help would be great!