Looking to trade
  • Motoxmom728

Looking to trade

by Motoxmom728 » Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:30 pm

I currently have a 2004 Honda XR 400r. I would like to trade for a 05 or 06 Honda 230. I love my 400. it's very forgiving, gets me through the sand smoothly and the ride is like being in a cadillac. However as I am getting a little older I need a smaller lighter bike. I'm a conservative rider so I don't need a whole lot of speed just enough power to get me up a few hills doing some trail riding.
    Motoxmom728
    JimDirt

Re: Looking to trade

by JimDirt » Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:18 am

Welcome to the site !! \:D/

Sorry for a delayed reply , usually someone is on top of things around here , but somehow you got missed :-k 8-[

Anyway ..... Not sure how you would favor a 230 over the old 400 , the weight difference will be great , but not sure you will be happy with the power delivery , or rather lack of it comparatively , I guess what the main factor is going to be is what type of riding you will be doing with it .... if its fire road trails , or tight single track and long steep hills , the 230 is going to struggle on the hills especially if you weigh over 150 or so , plus the suspension will be riding low in the stroke and that will give a harsher ride , so springs will be a added expense if you are not the right weight for the bike

I personally think , if you stay within the 250 range you would be happy power wise , but again , without knowing your riding habits , etc. its hard to suggest something you would be happy with and do what you need it to do , if its easy non technical trails with minimal steep hills , the 230 would be fine as long as you re-spring it for your weight , the downside to a 250X or so or even a 250L is you start getting near the weight of that 400 , so you are not gaining a advantage there , but , you will have better suspension and if you chose the 250L or the 250X then you would have a E-Start , so that kind of makes up for the extra weight , because you dont have to kick it when/if you fall or mess up , and the power would be much better overall than the 230 ......

There is no perfect answer anyone can given this situation as there are variables to consider , but I should ask ..... Have you ridden a 230 ?? , and was it just on flat ground ??? , have you ridden any of the other bikes in that class ?? ... Have you thought about a 2 stroke ?? (of any brand) , as the YZ250X is a excellent trail bike and will have tons of power and be pretty light , then there is KTM , etc. , but some people don't like 2 strokes , and/or regulations make it not worth the hassle , plus you need special gas , you can't just siphon some out of your buddies bike 30 miles back on some trail if it has no oil in it , I guess it boils down to your specific needs , I am older (will be 60 in Aug) and I understand the weight of the bike factor , I have a 450X and with the 3.2 tank , it weighs in right around 285 lbs , that is a lot of weight to pick up when your old and wore out , the button helps when starting , but you still feel the weight in the slow stuff or when picking it up off the ground

Anyway , hopefully I gave you some options to think over , or if you give more specifics , someone here might be able to steer you colser towards the right bike .... ;)
    2020 CRF450R
    2006 CRF450X
    Weiser , Idaho
  • Motoxmom728

by Motoxmom728 » Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:59 am

Well where should I start. Haha.
    Anyways let's start by saying I have considered a 2 stroke but I was considering a KX not a YZ. As for the type of riding I do it's mostly fire roads and a few hills. I live in the Mojave desert in California City but soon hopefully moving to Havasu. Like I said I'm a conservative rider. I don't care who gets where were going first. I'll get there when I get there. Going down hurts to much nowadays to be racing around. I'm almost 50. And my bdays in August as well. Anyways the 400 is just to heavy for me to 1) kick start. A few years ago no problem but now building up the compression and trying to balance and hold the bike up is too much work for me. I don't really want and electric start though. I like kick starting my bike. 2) if I do go down I usually am on a Rocky Hill so I have to drag the back tire around to get in a position that makes lifting the beast easier. The only downside to getting a smaller bike is that my 400 is like riding in a cadillac. It just floats over sand like walking on water and the hills are Rocky here and I don't even hardly notice them. The rocks I mean. Thanks for the suggestion. Ill definitely give it some more thouhtj.
    Motoxmom728
    JimDirt

by JimDirt » Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:51 am

Well then , not to steer you away from Honda's , BUT , I would take a serious look at a Suzuki RMX250 (they made them from 1989 to 1998), it would do EXACTLY what you want , it will have plenty of power when you need it , and its kick start (2 Stroke) , I would highly recommend trying to find a 1998 , as I feel it was the best set up as far as plush suspension , power , light weight , and is really a all around great bike , and really low maintenance , they are somewhat hard to come by in great shape , but you can find them (should be some in your area) in decent shape for a decent price , but I have found them here and there .... https://www.smartcycleguide.com/motorcy ... uki+rmx250 , I have been searching for one for myself , just have not found the right one I am looking for , *I want it to be completely stock , no aftermarket pipe or anything , so its harder to find** , I would choose that bike over any other given the choice to get another trail bike , for the right one , I would be willing to trade my 450X for it , so I am pretty impressed with it .... there is nothing I can think of that is actually not positive about it .......

As for the YZ , I was referring to the YZ-X not the YZ , the X is a off-road specific bike (they are a current bike , brand new , its a replacement of the old WR 2 stroke from the 80's/90's) https://www.yamahamotorsports.com/cross ... els/yz250x
    2020 CRF450R
    2006 CRF450X
    Weiser , Idaho
  • Aussiecrf230

by Aussiecrf230 » Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:35 pm

Well this is a difficult question and Jim has already mentioned some of my old favourites. Was always partial to a Pe175 or the later RMX.

The XR 400 is a legend and definitely hard to replace. The XR250 wasn't much lighter but don't know if you have tried one.

I find the CRF230 to be a good bike but lacking the suspension of the XR.
    Like all bikes you can upgrade suspension to get want you want but there is more cost.
    A tweaked 230 is about as quick as the XR250 and can do hills as long as they don't go forever. The 230 might not have the go for heavy sand but won't sink as far either. Never tried mine through sand but know what it is like.

Another oldie to think about would be the KDX200.

Finding an older model in good condition would be the hard thing.

Be interested to see which way you go.
    Ray
    Australia

CRF230F 2004
    C30F Power Up needle
    Mains 132
    Idle 45
    2 turns out
    Baffle out, Screens In

It starts,it runs,it gets to where all CRFs can get to without the valve or valve plate dramas