2007 CRF230F TIMING CHAIN KIT? CRANK GEAR WORN?
  • rockwhore

2007 CRF230F TIMING CHAIN KIT? CRANK GEAR WORN?

by rockwhore » Thu May 24, 2018 11:55 pm

Bike lost power/ stalled/ died while riding. very light driving going up smooth gravel road at the time of occurence. When trying to restart noticed fast crank, no exhaust pressure. took timing chain/cam inspection cover off and could move timing chain and cam with my fingers. we had the piston replaced about 4 months ago by a local machine shop. (very trustworthy) so I took the bike back to machine shop to be inspected.
    found teeth worn on lower cam/timing chain sprocket allowing chain to move over the teeth(sprocket located on end of crank).
    top chain pulley appears fine, as does the chain. I wanted to replace both gears, guides, tensioner and chain. All can be bought OEM except the lower chain sprocket. has anyone found an alternative? all I can find is that we have to completely rebuild the engine, replace the crank, in order to repair this issue. Hard to believe the lower timing chain gear cannot be purchased separately. Rocky Mountain stated that it was forged onto the crank? any ideas? is there a complete replacement engine builder? do I just junk the bike? spend $600 on rebuild? aggravated that a wear part that comes in a kit on most engines isn't even an option for this bike. Honda could have done better with this design.IMO
    any advice would be appreciated.