230F LED Light Bar Advice
  • migga

230F LED Light Bar Advice

by migga » Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:06 am

I have a 2006 CRF 230F with the headlight removed but power supply wires still available. Am I able to wire a small 15W-20W LED light bar directly to these wires (with a switch) in it's place?
    Any advice would be appreciated.
  • kiko

Re: 230F LED Light Bar Advice

by kiko » Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:10 am

The OEM light is A/C. LED is DC powered. You need to pull your power for the LED off the battery to a 4 pin relay and use your hot ignition wire downside of the switch for the trigger to send pwr from battery to LED.
  • migga

by migga » Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:25 pm

The old stock head light wires (light would turn on/off when ignition was turned on/off) have been cut and taped off just behind the new number plate. So I just need to wire a 4pin relay and switch to these wires followed by the light bar? The old light had no high/low beam and would get brighter with higher revs. Also would a 30W LED bar be too much much power drain? Cheers for the help.
  • kiko

by kiko » Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:55 am

I am no mechanic, but here is what I did and it works for me:

I zip tied an automotive 4 pin relay on the frame under the gas tank near the coil. The relay has 4 marked pins 30, 85, 86, and 87.

Run a new dedicated 12v wire from the battery positive terminal to connection tab #30 on the 4 pin relay.
    Run a new wire from #85 relay tab to bike frame, an existing ground wire, or the battery negative terminal.
    Relay tab #86 is the trigger that actuates the relay to send power to the light bar. Find the wire that is hot when you turn the ignition key to the on position. Mine was located in a boot in the wiring harness under the gas tank. Tap into this connector and run a new wire to #86 tab on the relay. (Just follow the ignition switch harness down to this boot and test each wire to find the hot wire with the key on.)
    Tab #87 on the relay is the power out to the LED bar. Run a new dedicated wire from tab #87 to the LED positive lead. Add an inline fuse on this wire to protect your LED light.
    Run a new ground wire from the LED negative lead to frame, battery negative terminal or another existing ground wire somewhere.
    Now : When you turn on the key, the light will come on. The LED bar will always come either on or off thru the ignition key.
    If you want an independent on/off switch for the LED light bar then add a two pole on/off toggle switch to your handlebars. Splice into the power wire to the LED light bar (that is the wire connection tab #87 on the relay). One side of the switch in the incoming power from tab #87 and the remaining pole of the switch is the power to the LED positive lead. So now you can interrupt the power to the LED light bar if the motor is running and you do not want the lights on.
    Clear as mud right? Anyway tons of youtube videos and images on the web that shows the installation.

I have an 18w LED headlight and a 10w LED tailight. No problems.
    Last edited by kiko on Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
  • migga

by migga » Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:56 pm

Thanx Kiko. Just found out the 2 old headlight wires are stator powered as they're only on with engine running which is no good for me as I want a light bar purely for emergencies and if I'm out on a trail later than expected.

Thinking of something like this harness set up wired directly to battery:
    https://m.ebay.com.au/itm/40A-12V-Wirin ... 2766787785

With just one of these LED bars:
    https://m.ebay.com.au/itm/2x-6-inch-30W ... 2234158791

What do you reckon? Is it better to go through the ignition key and will the 30W LED be too much?
  • kiko

by kiko » Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:55 am

I tried those lights but did not like them. They are flood pattern and so the light is dispersed more. They are 30 watts each and the CRF230F stator cannot handle that load, 60 watts total.

I bought the spot LED and prefer those because they light throw pattern is directly in front of the bike. Something like these:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/7inch-18W-Cree ... rm&vxp=mtr

These lights are 18 watt each. One is enough but you might get by with two with the limited output of the stator.

The wiring harness is the same as what I proposed, however it is all packaged up neat for you. You will still need a trigger connection somewhere to be made with your existing wiring harness to switch the light on and off. If you do not install a trigger to the relay, you will have to remember to always turn your lights off apart from when you turn off the motor. Good luck.
  • migga

by migga » Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:51 am

Thanx for the advise/help Kiko, much appreciated.