Power up kit, Wont start now
  • CrfMark

Power up kit, Wont start now

by CrfMark » Tue May 09, 2017 8:32 am

Hi, brand new here.

I picked up a pretty nice 2006 230f a couple of weeks ago, I really like it, but have had a nagging issue since I got it.

The bike never seemed to run smoothly at low rpm, idling, or trying to chug along on a slow trail. It always wanted to cough and sputter when creeping and then either stall out, or suddenly get a burst of power and uncontrollably jump 5 feet off the trail. I could keep the rpm's up with clutch control or adjusting the idle way to high, but that's not right. I'm in Pa. so elevation is 500-2000 feet. It's been acting up at lower elevation.

So, after much research and reading I decided to get the power up kit. After seeing that most folks at my elevation are using the 132 main, 45 pilot, clip in the middle position, that's how I set it up. I also got the extended "T" handle fuel/air mixture screw. I've been trying that anywhere from 1-3 turns out and anywhere in between. This is what seems to work for most people that I've read at my elevation.

I removed the baffle and drilled out the end and drilled 4 holes through the side (like Rick Ramsey) and reinstalled it. and I removed the snorkel and rubber ring.

Now I can't get the bike to start. Well not very easily anyway.

I drained the battery yesterday trying to start it, charged the battery and finally got it started last night. 1/4 throttle and up it runs like a beast. But it still hesitates and suddenly lunges like before when creeping in first gear.

I've been messing with the idle, the fuel/air adjustment, choke on, choke off, middle, everything that I can think of.

I drained the battery again this morning just trying to get it started ](*,)

Buying a new battery today.

I'm sorry, I've searched, but I can't find an answer. I know someone is going to tell me to use the search feature, trust me, I did. I'm in my 50's so I'm not some kid on my first trip around the block, I really am frustrated.

I'm stumped, any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks, Mark
  • CrfMark

Re: Power up kit, Wont start now

by CrfMark » Tue May 09, 2017 4:41 pm

**UPDATE**

New battery is in, she fires right up. Can't believe the battery that was in it actually worked for two weeks.

Anyway......

Still has the low speed stalling problem. I'm trying to make the smallest possible adjustments incrementally with the fuel screw and idle but it will still stall out......Precisely at the wrong time usually. Or even if I'm coming to a stop in first gear, it will just stall right before I'm going to stop. Not all the time however, very frustrating.
    crfsonly
    Owner

by crfsonly » Tue May 09, 2017 10:22 pm

Remove the fuel screw and make sure you only have one of each of the o-ring, washer and spring. Often an extra o-ring is left in or fragments of it. Make sure you install one of each in the correct order. Turn the fuel screw out 2 turns and adjust from there.
    OEM Parts for Honda - Yamaha - Suzuki - Kawasaki: http://yeltrik.com

by Aussiecrf230 » Wed May 10, 2017 1:06 am

Since the issue existed before changing the jetting:
    Is the aircleaner clean and oiled properly?
    Have you checked the condition of the spark plug?
    Perhaps install a new properly gapped plug.
    How fresh is the fuel?
    Hope that helps.
    Ray
    Australia

CRF230F 2004
    C30F Power Up needle
    Mains 132
    Idle 45
    2 turns out
    Baffle out, Screens In

It starts,it runs,it gets to where all CRFs can get to without the valve or valve plate dramas
  • CrfMark

by CrfMark » Thu May 11, 2017 3:56 pm

Alright, well I made sure there was no debris in the fuel mixture screw hole, new air filter, clean plug gapped correctly, fresh 93 octane gas, and adjusted the carb float.

It still occasionally Boggs and stalls at low rpm and slow speed. It reminds me like if you forget to turn the petcock on. It just goes.......BLAaaaaaaaaa...stall.....stop. And sometimes if I try to save it, it gets a huge boost of power and jumps off line. It will also sometimes stall like this when I want to come to a stop, it just stalls out just before I want to stop.

And it's still a little hard to start when cold.

Only two more things I can think of to try,

Adjust the clip onto the 4th position on the needle,

And check the valve clearance.

This is certainly testing my patience.

Thanks for the ideas.
    crfsonly
    Owner

by crfsonly » Thu May 11, 2017 4:01 pm

Make sure your fuel tank is correctly vented. Check your fuel flow at the fuel line entering the carb and check it at the float as well (be an a well vented area, no flames or ignition sources and something safely catch the fuel). Also, your idle should be set correctly. Remember it's not a big block Chevy so no lopey idle.

by Aussiecrf230 » Thu May 11, 2017 4:16 pm

The 4th clip down from the top worked for me. Have you adjusted your idle fuel screw to peak rpm before setting idle? If you can't get it to peak out maybe the 48 idle is the way to go. Assume float is set about level and plastic shroud is on main jet holder.
    Ray
    Australia

CRF230F 2004
    C30F Power Up needle
    Mains 132
    Idle 45
    2 turns out
    Baffle out, Screens In

It starts,it runs,it gets to where all CRFs can get to without the valve or valve plate dramas
  • CrfMark

by CrfMark » Fri May 12, 2017 1:12 pm

I think I got it !!

First off thanks CRF and Aussie for the tips. Aussie, I wasn't quite sure about how to correctly set the mixture screw but I googled it and found a very good detailed simple explanation and it was very helpful, I wouldn't have even looked it up if you hadn't mentioned it.

OK....I ended up adjusting the valves. Figured it probably needed to be done anyway without knowing the history of the bike. And figured I'd give that a shot before moving the clip to the 4th position.

Well, the intake valve was WAY to tight and the exhaust valve gap was too big. I was able to get them exactly to .004" each and put it all back together.

I did this all being completely cold from over night.

Turned on the fuel, turned up the idle a bit, and vroom, she fired up faster and better than any time since I've owned it. What a huge different the correct valve setting makes....I highly recommend doing this to anyone.

I let her warm up real good and then went and correctly set the mixture screw as I read the night before. I kept the idle just a tad bit high as suggested by crfsonly and boy did she run good. I was able to idle through figure 8's without even the threat of stalling and it wasn't idling to high either. I made a silver sharpie mark on the idle adjustment knob for future reference and off I went. She ran great!

I'm so happy that I stuck with it and got it right. I see many enjoyable miles in my future.

And thanks to crfsonly and Aussie for the support!!!
    crfsonly
    Owner

by crfsonly » Fri May 12, 2017 2:10 pm

Excellent news! Glad to hear it's running better than ever!

Ken

by Aussiecrf230 » Sat May 13, 2017 3:38 am

The best thing is you did it yourself. Surprised the valve clearances were set like that. Mine has stayed std clearance since day I got it. Have to think it has been fiddled with previously.
    Ray
    Australia

CRF230F 2004
    C30F Power Up needle
    Mains 132
    Idle 45
    2 turns out
    Baffle out, Screens In

• CrfMark

by CrfMark » Sun May 14, 2017 2:16 pm

Well that only lasted a few minutes.

Back to its old tricks.

Lowered the clip to the 4th position, tried running mixture screw around 2, 2-1\2 turns out. Put in a brand new plug and it looks like it's running Lean. ?????????? I don't get it.

Still stalls out at low speed. I have no confidence taking this bike out on the trails at this point.

Over 5mph it runs fantastic.

If I need to go to a 48 pilot and put in an 03-05 needle it looks like I threw my money down the toilet on the power up kit. Because I would probably put in a 120 main at that point also.
    crfsonly
    Owner

by crfsonly » Sun May 14, 2017 6:21 pm

Obviously there's something else going on with either your carb, your motor or both. The Power UP Kit was working great in your previous post the jetting didn't change...something else with your carb or motor change. You have to find the root cause of this issue and I can assure you it's not the Power Up Jet kit.

Ken

by Aussiecrf230 » Mon May 15, 2017 2:27 am

Ok that sucks.
    Check the breather hoses that leave the carb.
    Make sure they are not blocked or kinked.

So it idles smooth still or not?
    Are the push/pull throttle cables free moving?
    Carby properly in manifold boot with no air leaks.

Of course it may be an electrical connection that is loose and the jerk from starting off is enough stop then start again. Or is it still running just gutless?
    Try disconnecting the kill switch temporarily.
    Ray
    Australia

CRF230F 2004
    C30F Power Up needle
    Mains 132
    Idle 45
    2 turns out
    Baffle out, Screens In

• CrfMark

by CrfMark » Mon May 15, 2017 6:14 am

Sorry, I didn't want to make it sound like I'm "blaming" the power up kit, I'm not. I was only saying I may end up not using anything in it.

All the vent hoses are clear, I made sure of that.

When I said it was running good in the previous post, that was based on about 20-30 minutes of putting around in my back yard before it started raining. I had more time to work with it yesterday and it started acting up again shortly after running it. I shouldn't have claimed victory so quickly. :)

I did the clear hose float check, and to me it looks perfect. I've been a machinist/toolmaker my entire life so I know how to measure.

I still need to run the idle high.
    Cables are lubed and working smoothly.
    I will need to take off the boots to inspect them properly.
    I did make sure the kill switch wasn't tugging on anything when the bars are turned, but I can disconnect it just to eliminate something.

But the plug is burning white, even the old plug never looked like it was running rich.

It's not gutless at all when I'm running at speed, in fact it pulls great and seems fast, it just dies at low speed.
  • CrfMark

by CrfMark » Mon May 15, 2017 7:33 am

I just noticed something when I was looking at carb photos on Ricks home page.

There's this bell shaped plastic piece he calls a baffle in the photos. It looks like it attaches to the main jet assembly.

I do not have that bell shaped piece in my carb! Can this be the issue???