CRF230F a gateway bike?
  • hwlake

CRF230F a gateway bike?

by hwlake » Tue Oct 13, 2015 11:57 am

I own an '09 crf230f. It is my 2nd bike...previously I owned an older xr200r
    I began riding seriously about 1.5-2 years ago and have become a lot better than I was when I started. I have always assumed I would 'graduate' from the crf230f at some point. It seems like a toy compared to a lot of other bikes out there. but I have not ridden other bikes out there...never ridden a 2-stroke for instance. But I gotta say, I love riding the crf-230!! it feels like it FITS me really well, and I am not sure the taller stature of a 'real' bike would fit as well. (I am about 5'10 and 165 lbs.) I am able to toss it around between my knees easily, lift it when mired in muck, etc.

My question to you all is, is it worth putting a lot of money into this bike to make improvements, consider it a long-term investment in riding...or should I just ride it the way it is until I sell it and buy, say, a 300exc?

I have already re-jetted it (big difference), installed all cast amenities, bark-busters, t-handle pilot screw, that's about it.

what I would think about doing is new front end from a CR (suspension, and move the bars forward (1st priority)), stiffen (send out) the rear suspension, aluminum skid plate, not sure what else...

Has anyone else moved from a mid-size 4 stroke 'beginner bike' to a better power-to-weight-ratio 2-stroke? results?

I don't race, not interested in racing, just like riding single-track, woods, powerlines, hard-enduro type stuff.

thanks and look forward to any replies!
  • mossman77

by mossman77 » Tue Oct 13, 2015 12:23 pm

I just "graduated" from a 230F and I would never go back. Don't get me wrong, I loved the bike. It just wasn't ergonomically correct for my 6'-2" 220 lb stature. I bought a 250X and once I rode that thing I never looked back. At 5'-10" and 165 lbs, you probably wouldn't have to do much at all to a 250X. It is already sprung for your weight and the stock bars would likely suit you fine. It is a more expensive bike and requires a lot more maintenance, so you have to consider that as well. Your 230F is very low maintenance and there is less to go wrong.

My advice is to take a spin on a 250X or 300EXC and then make a decision, keeping in mind the maintenance requirements. If you're happy with your 230F, then I say stick with it. If you find yourself yearning for more power, then consider moving up. I myself spent about $1,300 on my 230F upgrading the suspension, tires, jetting, and it really transformed the bike. My main reason for selling it was it was physically too small. Plus the thrill of feeling the power of the 250X got me hooked whereas the 230F left me yearning for more. If you're riding tight single track, then you may not need the extra power, but it sure is nice to have it for when you want to open it up on a fire road or open field or the occasional spin around the track.
    2007 CRF250X
    2004 CRF230F (sold)
  • hwlake

by hwlake » Tue Oct 13, 2015 2:57 pm

mossman77:
    what specifically did you upgrade suspension-wise and tires? did you do the upgrades yourself?
    thanks
  • mossman77

by mossman77 » Tue Oct 13, 2015 4:43 pm

I sent the rear shock to Hlebo Brothers in CA to have the shock revalved, installed a hevlavier spring (not necessary in your case) and added Race Tech fork emulators in the forks. This required drilling the dampers rods, but no biggie. I also added 30mm bar risers and a CRF150F shock linkage to raise the bike about an inch. At 5'-10", you shouldn't need to change the ride height. At the least, I would get the shock revalved (about $215) and install the fork emulators ($170). It will make a huge difference. Also, you didn't say anything about opening up the airbox or exhaust. You should have done these mods in addition to rejetting. With the exception of the shock revalve, you should be able to do the other mods yourself assuming you are at least somehwat mechanically inclined.
    2007 CRF250X
    2004 CRF230F (sold)
  • hwlake

by hwlake » Fri Oct 16, 2015 5:24 am

Yeah part of rejetting was removing the exhaust baffle, drilling out the airbox.

thanks for the advice, though I have read comments that the form emulators are not worth it...can't remember why, but a lot of folks end up doing the CR swap anyways. what exactly is a fork emulator?

and the bar risers? are these a bolt on item? and do they move the bars forward at all? could you send a link to the one you installed mossman77?

thanks

been great riding weather and conditions in VT
  • mossman77

by mossman77 » Fri Oct 16, 2015 1:19 pm

If you still have the exhaust baffle, I 'd drill a few holes in it and put it back in. It's too loud with it completely out. Check out Rick Ramsey's 230F modifications for details

I'm not sure who said the emulators are not worth it, but I beg to differ. Just ask the 230F guys at Thumper Talk what they think (e.g. VortecCPI). It makes a huge difference for $170 and very little effort.

The bar risers I installed only lifted the bars 30 mm upward, no forward offset. Also available in 15mm.

Another option with offset--pricey though (32 mm rise, 25 mm offset).

Fork emulators mimick a cartridge fork by providing some valving. The stock setup uses damping rods, which are inferior to a cartridge fork. The emulators get you one step closer to a cartridge fork at a fraction of the cost with the only modification being that you need to drill a couple holes in your damping rods to minimize their effect (the emulators take over). For your reading pleasure: http://www.racetech.com/page/title/Emul ... hey%20Work
    2007 CRF250X
    2004 CRF230F (sold)
  • hwlake

by hwlake » Sat Oct 24, 2015 3:20 pm

just installed some bar risers 1 inch up 1.25 inch forward...world of difference. the front end comes up when i tell it to now!
  • hwlake

by hwlake » Fri Feb 05, 2016 3:09 pm

just spoke with Hlebo and sent out my rear shock. also just ordered racetech front fork emulators. winter upgrades!
    wondering if the emulator kit comes with good install instructions?
  • Aussiecrf230

by Aussiecrf230 » Thu Aug 04, 2016 3:47 am

I thought the instructions were good. A few youtube videos were around to.
    Ray
    Australia

CRF230F 2004
    C30F Power Up needle
    Mains 132
    Idle 45
    2 turns out
    Baffle out, Screens In

It starts,it runs,it gets to where all CRFs can get to without the valve or valve plate dramas