CRF230F Modifications FAQ
    oldtimer

CRF230F Modifications FAQ

by oldtimer » Thu Nov 17, 2005 7:18 am

I thought that 230F owners new and old could benefit from a consolidated guide to some of the most frequently asked questions. I asked Ken (the owner of CRF’s only) if he would put this up as a sticky and he graciously agreed. Thanks Ken.

This is intended to be a staring guide to basic and common modifications many 230 owners perform on their bikes. All the steps necessary to make these changes should be reviewed in the Service Manual first. This is not a substitute for the Manual and it is the best investment you can make for your bike.

The Power Up Kit: (Honda Parts available from your local Honda dealer)
    Most owners want a little more spunk from the bike. An inexpensive and effective way to add power is do these modifications. This involves getting more airflow on the intake, re-jetting the carb and opening up the exhaust. These changes should be done together as a lean condition will occur and possible engine damage as a result.

Honda recommends this as a starting point:
    16012-KPS-921 – Needle (Includes Power up needle, Clip, and needle jet)
    99113-GHB-1320 – Main jet (Where 132 is the jet size)
    99103-MT2-0450 – Pilot jet (Where 45 is the pilot jet size)

The needle clip in the 4th position counting down the rings from the blunt end of the needle. The fuel screw at 1.5 to 1.75 turns out. At the same time install a high flow Air filter like
    http://crfsonly.com/catalog/product_inf ... cts_id/142 and remove the snorkel and snorkel gasket from under the seat. Next step is to remove the baffle from the end of the exhaust. This is the black insert held in by a torx screw on the side of the end cap. Another option if you can afford it a high flow exhaust that will help power as well. http://crfsonly.com/catalog/product_inf ... cts_id/529
    This is a safe starting point as the bike should run a little rich(more fuel) and keep the motor cool. Again this is a starting point and you may need to adjust/change to meet your needs.

Fuel Screw:
    A handy item to install at anytime is this fuel Screw. This allows tool less fine adjustments to your jetting anytime anywhere. These adjustments are necessary with seasonal temperature changes.
    http://crfsonly.com/catalog/product_inf ... ts_id/1362

How loud is the 230:
    Stock it’s metered from 82 to 84db with the baffle removed 89 to 92db. (Still under most riding areas sound limits)

Rev Box:
    What is a rev box? This is an electronic device situated behind the number plate and controls the ignition curve and RPM’s. The stock unit is set to max out at 9,800 RPM’s. Aftermarket Rev Boxes are available to increase this limit usually 1,000 to 1,200 more RPM and change/steepen the ignition curve allowing you to get to the power faster spinning the motor quicker and to higher RPM's. It does not add HP but the effect is reportedly noticeable!
    http://crfsonly.com/catalog/product_inf ... cts_id/707

Suspension:

Can I raise the height of the bike?
    First thing you should do is check the Race sag. Measure from a point on the swing arm like the axle to a spot on the rear fender or back of the seat with the bike on a stand and no weight on it. Then sit on the bike and have a friend measure the same 2 points again. This difference should be about 3.5 inches depending how you like it. If it’s not adjust the threaded rings on top of the shock to get it closer to this number. If your still not happy BBR makes a rear link and front triple clamp that together raise the bike 1 inch.
    http://crfsonly.com/catalog/product_inf ... cts_id/106
    http://crfsonly.com/catalog/product_inf ... cts_id/254

Can I lower the height of the bike?
    KOUBA makes a link to lower the seat height buy 2 inches. This link also has a grease fitting making bearing maintenance easy. You would also need to move the front forks up in the triple clamp to level out the bike and keep the steering in check.
    http://crfsonly.com/catalog/product_inf ... cts_id/740

Suspension is to soft:
    Before buying new springs you can add more fluid to the forks. The max height is 3.6 inches measured from the top of the fork tube when the fork is off the bike in an upright position and fully compressed into the bottom slider. You will feel the tube hit bottom. I use a T handle wrench with a mark at the height I want. The stock fluid is 10W. The easiest thing to do is top it up with more 10W then test ride it to see if your happy with it.

Heavy Duty Springs:
    If your still not happy with the ride BBR makes Heavy Duty springs for the 230. These springs will keep the bike up in the suspension travel and help keep you from bottoming out on jumps etc. These are a high spring rate and are typically only recommended for heavy riders and those who ride very aggressively. For most but the heaviest riders there is a tradeoff in more ground contours transferred to the rider.
    http://crfsonly.com/catalog/product_inf ... cts_id/428
    http://crfsonly.com/catalog/product_inf ... cts_id/426

Protection:

Skid Plate:
    A wise investment is a full skid plate. A skid plate offers protection to the lower frame rails in addition to the engine cases that jut out past the frame.
    http://crfsonly.com/catalog/product_inf ... ts_id/1211

Maintenance:

Air filter: Regular maintenance of the air filter, involves cleaning and oil re oiling the filter.
    Oil changes: Recommended after the first 100 miles then 600 mile intervals after that. Use a quality non energy conserving oil usually 10W-40 viscosity unless at temperature extremes.
    Valves: Check your valves the same intervals as you change your oil. Valve spec is .004 inches for both intake and exhaust.
    Battery: When storing the bike for periods longer than a few weeks or simply to keep your battery in top condition try a purpose built motorcycle battery charger/maintainer. These are foolproof devices you simply plug in and don’t give a seconds thought. Warning do not use typical automotive battery chargers. The current output is usually to high. Check these out:
    http://crfsonly.com/catalog/product_inf ... ts_id/1151

The products linked to in this guide are only an example of what is available here at CRF’s only. It is up to each owner to shop for what product is best for them. For example I linked to the Flatland Skid plate but if you check in the 230 sections there are several available.

Most important is to ride often and have fun. In my opinion the 230F is a capable trail bike offering more smiles per mile than anything out there.

This is intended as starting guide that I can revise or add to as needed or suggested buy other members.

Oldtimer
    Last edited by oldtimer on Tue Apr 04, 2006 1:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
    06 CRF230, BBR F&R Springs, BBR Triple Clamp and Link,BBR skidplate and cam cover, RSW fork brace, Pro Taper Fat bars, Ready Filters, Power up Kit, Airbox Mods and Trail Tech.
    06 CRF80
    04 CRF70
    88 CR250
  • willflyforfood

by willflyforfood » Thu Nov 17, 2005 9:26 am

good job oldtimer!!!
    I just want to correct you on one thing, setting the sag.
    You said---
    "Measure from a point on the swing arm like the axle to a spot on the rear fender or back of the seat with no weight on the bike."
    This first measurement should be taken while the bike is on a stand so the wheels are off the ground.
    '04 CRF150F w/ CR85 suspension
    Check out my personal gallery for photos
    oldtimer

by oldtimer » Thu Nov 17, 2005 9:40 am

True. I'll update it, Thanks.

I'll add more detail as I get time. Or recommendations buy members like you! :D
    06 CRF230, BBR F&R Springs, BBR Triple Clamp and Link,BBR skidplate and cam cover, RSW fork brace, Pro Taper Fat bars, Ready Filters, Power up Kit, Airbox Mods and Trail Tech.
    06 CRF80
    04 CRF70
    88 CR250
    PGer555

by PGer555 » Thu Nov 17, 2005 11:54 am

Its about time!!! How did you get it stickyied?? Also you can add washers to the front forks to make them stiffer and increase the ride height. (just thought i'd add something...)
    oldtimer

by oldtimer » Thu Nov 17, 2005 1:46 pm

I just asked Ken.
    06 CRF80
    04 CRF70
    88 CR250
    PGer555

by PGer555 » Thu Nov 17, 2005 3:25 pm

CR250oldtimer wrote:I just asked Ken.

Why didnt i ever think of that ](*,) Well im glad you did it but its to bad new members arent forced to read them b4 they post, that would solve all of our "what is the power up kit" question problems...
    IvanCRF

by IvanCRF » Thu Nov 17, 2005 9:10 pm

good work 8)
    CRF450X
    boi_racer01

by boi_racer01 » Fri Nov 18, 2005 2:28 am

yea good job. it will help lots of people myself included. lol
    2005 Honda CRF230F
    ThE FuN bEgInS wHeRe ThE pAvEmEnT eNdS!
    Trail Tech Endurance Computer
    PGer555

by PGer555 » Fri Nov 18, 2005 12:01 pm

We need to add the info about the 428 chain conversion.
  • K D

by K D » Sun Nov 20, 2005 5:50 am

CR250oldtimer, in your power up info you make the statement ( Honda recommends this as a starting point: ) I am wondering where you got that information.
  • Old Dude

by Old Dude » Sun Nov 20, 2005 8:53 am

Not sure why one would wonder that, but my local shop suggested it to me and referred to (showed me) a service information bulletin regarding the issue from Honda. Either way the bike is jetted horribly lean from the factory. Go ahead blame Cal for the tight emmissions standard and rejet it so that it works for you in your area whether you use their power up kit or not. But the power up kit does save you a lot of guess work.
    '06 250X: http://crfsonly.com/forum/garage.php?mo ... le&CID=386
    '03 CRF230
    '04 CRF230
    '08 750 Shadow Spirit
    '01 Polaris Sportsman 600
    '03 CRF50
    '04 KLX110
    Kazuma Falcon90
  • K D

by K D » Sun Nov 20, 2005 7:54 pm

Old Dude I agree that these bikes need to be rejetted, and i have done that although my set up is different than most. My issue is with the so called power up kit. I would be very interested to see a copy of the service bulletin your dealer showed you. I purchased the power up kit, and after comparing it with the stock parts did not insall it.
    oldtimer

by oldtimer » Sun Nov 20, 2005 8:49 pm

06 CRF80
    04 CRF70
    88 CR250
  • K D

by K D » Mon Nov 21, 2005 4:22 am

Thank you for the info on the news letter I'll check that out. I didn't like the profile of the "power up" needle because it's fatter than the stock needle. All components on my bike function correctly, I'm not compensating for anything. :D
    oldtimer

by oldtimer » Mon Nov 21, 2005 9:45 am

K D. Do you still have the power up needle? If so can you tell me the number on the side? I have it installed and would be a pain to pull out just to read the number. I have the stocker in my Jet kit. I’ll pull it’s number.
    We should look @ this a little more scientifically.
    With the needle numbers we can ascertain the taper diameter and length. All play a role in determining weather the needle is leaner or richer and the taper angle in particular determines where in the magical, where we ride most, 1/4 to 3/4 throttle opening wheather it is leaner or richer.
    This way we can more closely examine the effect of this change. I’m usually pretty diligent at doing this myself before making a change. However I did not think this would be so controversial and after all this is a PD carb. :-( About the hardest to find information on the net as most users do little with it.
    There is a wealth of info on my PJ but is more of a motocross racing application.
    06 CRF80
    04 CRF70
    88 CR250