Please Help 2003 CRF230f No Spark Issue
  • Fourmysku

Please Help 2003 CRF230f No Spark Issue

by Fourmysku » Mon May 03, 2021 12:35 pm

I have a Honda CRF230 that I bought for parts, for my sons bike. I have ended up over time accumulating extra parts and decided to rebuild this bike from the frame up. After spending too much time and money on Ebay and Amazon buying parts. I have the bike almost completely together.

However, When firing up for the first time I it started for a brief second and sounded good. So started finishing touches and did another test and could not get it to start. I would have intermittent spark, so trouble shooting started, to the point I have no spark now. Below is a list of what I have done.
    Checked the timing
    New Stator, aftermarket --
    Tried a OEM stator of a good running bike
    New CDI and a used CDI box off my sons bike - Test and works on my sons bike.
    two different coils -- Test and works on my sons bike.
    Replaced all of the wiring connectors and tested, heat shrink connectors and tested good connections.

I have tested the CDI box, Coil, Plugs and voltage reg. box on my sons bike his bike fires right up. Place these parts on the rebuilt bike and no spark.

I am really struggling on what the issue is, The stock wiring harness was shot on this bike so I order a used one off the same model and year of bike to use on this bike everything looks good. I tested power at the coil with a volt meter just to compare to my sons bike. When I did this I set the meter to DC and cranked the motor, the voltage matches my sons bike.

I am usually pretty good with trouble shooting issues like this, but this one has me stumped. Kind of points at the stator but this is the second stator.... ugh can someone help?? #-o :shock: :cry:
  • Aussiecrf230

Re: Please Help 2003 CRF230f No Spark Issue

by Aussiecrf230 » Mon May 03, 2021 2:01 pm

Did you by any chance paint the frame you are building up?
    Even if you didn't start by checking the earths are all connected and resistance between them is very low.
    Make sure coil is properly earthed.
    Assume you are using a new plug and the lead from the coil is ok
    Ray
    Australia

CRF230F 2004
    C30F Power Up needle
    Mains 132
    Idle 45
    2 turns out
    Baffle out, Screens In

It starts,it runs,it gets to where all CRFs can get to without the valve or valve plate dramas
  • Fourmysku

by Fourmysku » Mon May 03, 2021 3:59 pm

Did you by any chance paint the frame you are building up?
    Even if you didn't start by checking the earths are all connected and resistance between them is very low.
    Make sure coil is properly earthed.
    Assume you are using a new plug and the lead from the coil is ok

Hmm yes I did I plaintext the frame. I put two new ground wires. One at the starter bolt and on on a motor mount. I also sanded the paint off the mounting holes for the coil pack. The coil pack was tested on another bike that I have and works fine. So with that said I’m thinking about it, the ground wire that runs to the starter bolt should give good ground to the engine block, then the one ground that I mounted to the bolt for the engine mount should give the frame good ground.

Also a couple other tests I did
    Put a alligator clip lead/wire from the ground on the battery to the end of the electrode on the spark plug thinking well maybe the motor block wasn’t a good testing spot.

Also ran the volt meter neg to the bolt on the coil pack and it tested good 🤷‍♂️ Sooo freaking weird... ugh
  • Aussiecrf230

by Aussiecrf230 » Mon May 03, 2021 4:30 pm

If from your tests you feel it is the stator then I would start by checking the resistance of the windings and the actual wiring.
    Is there any output from the pulse generator?
    Ray
    Australia

CRF230F 2004
    C30F Power Up needle
    Mains 132
    Idle 45
    2 turns out
    Baffle out, Screens In

It starts,it runs,it gets to where all CRFs can get to without the valve or valve plate dramas
  • Fourmysku

by Fourmysku » Tue May 04, 2021 6:13 am

If from your tests you feel it is the stator then I would start by checking the resistance of the windings and the actual wiring.
    Is there any output from the pulse generator?
    Checking voltage at the coil pack matched the other bike that I have exactly. That is why I am not sure its the stator in addition to that it is the second stator I have tried.