water pump leak 04 450r
  • fast4fun

by fast4fun » Sat Mar 28, 2009 4:53 pm

I used a screwdriver to drive each seal out from the other side. Didn't seem like a big deal since they were changed with new ones. just be carefull not to scratch the surrounding. FWIW I used a socket to drive the bearing in (Gently - go slow).

I'm a total newbie shadetree mechanic so take my advice with a grain of salt. On the other hand, it worked great. Two rides with no leaks.
    lightflight

by lightflight » Sat Mar 28, 2009 9:39 pm

logan6437 wrote:
    ~ wrote:
    logan6437 wrote:
    braap207 wrote:If your going to change one seal, well I would just do both, the parts are cheap and order extras, I would like to consider myself a weep hole master :o There is no short cut to taking the side cover off, but I can do the complete change in about 10 minutes. Drain your fluid, and go to town, pull off the side cover and follow the manual, just make sure you look at each seal and how it is placed on each side (inside and out) because they hav eto be placed in a specific direction, I would also inspect the bearing. If you plan on having the bike for a whileyou can do like I did on my 04 and switch out the impellar bearing, inner seal and outter seal. You don't need anything special to pull them and if you have new ones just punch out the old one at a time and replace them, super easy. Then put it back together fill up the Rad and start it and let it run, if you put the seals in backwards it will leak... Yeah I know from doing this :oops:

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

do you have to pull the clutch off and apart to take the cover off and i don't have a manual i'm doing everything from memory which so far is a pain but i'm trying to fix my truck, car, and get an apartment so i'm trying to spend as little money as possible and spread the cash around

PM sent.

thank you very much, so im still wondering why you would drill a hole in the impeller what does that really help

The purpose of the hole and picture:

http://motocross.transworld.net/2005/07 ... ump-seals/
    logan6437

by logan6437 » Sun Mar 29, 2009 9:35 am

lightflight wrote:
    logan6437 wrote:
    ~ wrote:
    logan6437 wrote:
    braap207 wrote:If your going to change one seal, well I would just do both, the parts are cheap and order extras, I would like to consider myself a weep hole master :o There is no short cut to taking the side cover off, but I can do the complete change in about 10 minutes. Drain your fluid, and go to town, pull off the side cover and follow the manual, just make sure you look at each seal and how it is placed on each side (inside and out) because they hav eto be placed in a specific direction, I would also inspect the bearing. If you plan on having the bike for a whileyou can do like I did on my 04 and switch out the impellar bearing, inner seal and outter seal. You don't need anything special to pull them and if you have new ones just punch out the old one at a time and replace them, super easy. Then put it back together fill up the Rad and start it and let it run, if you put the seals in backwards it will leak... Yeah I know from doing this :oops:

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

do you have to pull the clutch off and apart to take the cover off and i don't have a manual i'm doing everything from memory which so far is a pain but i'm trying to fix my truck, car, and get an apartment so i'm trying to spend as little money as possible and spread the cash around

PM sent.

thank you very much, so i'm still wondering why you would drill a hole in the impeller what does that really help

The purpose of the hole and picture:

http://motocross.transworld.net/2005/07 ... ump-seals/

ok yeah it makes sense, thanks for that i'm suprised i never saw that i have a subscription to that magazine
    "Who ever said nothing was impossible never tried slamming a revolving door"
    "Chuck Norris can kill two stones with one bird."
    "In the bible Jesus turned water into wine, Chuck Norris turned that wine into beer"
    2004 crf450r