water pump leak 04 450r
    logan6437

water pump leak 04 450r

by logan6437 » Sun Mar 15, 2009 11:08 am

i started my bike the other day, and i noticed a small leak coming from what seemed to be the bottom bolt on the water pump cover idk if its the gasket or what is going on i checked the bolt and it was tight, i have red that it is better to change out the shaft or impeller from the 06 i'm not sure if it makes a big difference i'm going to start with trying to just replace the gasket and see what happens but any other help would be great, i'm going to have a suspended license soon so plenty of time to work on it :roll: but not making money kinda keeps me from working on it to so a catch 22 kinda
    "Who ever said nothing was impossible never tried slamming a revolving door"
    "Chuck Norris can kill two stones with one bird."
    "In the bible Jesus turned water into wine, Chuck Norris turned that wine into beer"
    2004 crf450r
    lightflight

by lightflight » Sun Mar 15, 2009 11:37 am

i started my bike yesterday as well and it did the same thing so i shut it off wiped it up and started it up and rode it around and it didn't start leaking again... weird
    logan6437

by logan6437 » Sun Mar 15, 2009 11:43 am

yeah i dint really get a chance to ride it with the flash flood i was having, but i was a little worried about just jumping on and going since the guy i bought it from did no maintenance so i'm kinda rebuilding the bike as i go
    "In the bible Jesus turned water into wine, Chuck Norris turned that wine into beer"
    2004 crf450r
    braap207

by braap207 » Sun Mar 15, 2009 10:36 pm

Common problem with 04's the impeller pump seals go out fast, no need to buy an 06 impeller, just drill a small hole in the impeller itself, I have pictures posted on this site somewhere, no time to look but its an easy fix. I went through 3 sets of seals in 05 on my 04. :roll: They are easy to change, no special tools required and the seals are cheap. :P You can ride short periods with it blown but unless your 450 is your primary means of transportation I would park it.

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
    I don't ride dirty I ride canadian...
    05/06 NDMA MX Am State Champ

Your Mom goes to college is currently serving in Iraq
    logan6437

by logan6437 » Mon Mar 16, 2009 11:01 am

braap207 wrote:Common problem with 04's the impeller pump seals go out fast, no need to buy an 06 impeller, just drill a small hole in the impeller itself, I have pictures posted on this site somewhere, no time to look but its an easy fix. I went through 3 sets of seals in 05 on my 04. :roll: They are easy to change, no special tools required and the seals are cheap. :P You can ride short periods with it blown but unless your 450 is your primary means of transportation I would park it.

i was looking for anything on here, i thought i saw something before but could not find it again, so what seal is the one that goes out, and were in the inpeller would you drill a hole. i looked at it again after running it for a little bit and it looks like the cover gasket/seal is just leaking a little but idk if something behind it is causing it to leak, so if you could explain just a little bit more on what to do to the impeller
    2004 crf450r
    motosicko

by motosicko » Mon Mar 16, 2009 11:48 am

If the leak was coming from the bottom bolt it most likely is the copper washer on the drain bolt, that's what the bottom bolt is, and the washer will leak if distorted at all. If leak is coming out of weep hole under water pump, then it would be the outer impeller seal.
    "There are old racers
    and there are bold racers,
    but there are no old, bold racers who don't walk funny."

by 124 » Mon Mar 16, 2009 11:49 am

Braaap is stationed in Iraq right now. Not sure if he'll get back to ya right away. I'll jump in....

Drill the hole in the impeller here:
    http://crfsonly.com/forum/album_pic.php?pic_id=1963

Replace #9, water seal. #8 is the oil seal and for an additional $2, I'd replace it anyway. Some cases have shown the shaft has grooved and needs replacing. Inspect very closely. Note: the pic above may differ from your bike slightly, but the parts are essentially the same.
    70' Honda CT70 (Trail 70; Gold)
    16' KX450
    16' KX85
    12' YZ125
    logan6437

by logan6437 » Mon Mar 16, 2009 12:13 pm

124 wrote:Braaap is stationed in Iraq right now. Not sure if he'll get back to ya right away. I'll jump in....

Drill the hole in the impeller here:
    http://crfsonly.com/forum/album_pic.php?pic_id=1963

Replace #9, water seal. #8 is the oil seal and for an additional $2, I'd replace it anyway. Some cases have shown the shaft has grooved and needs replacing. Inspect very closely. Note: the pic above may differ from your bike slightly, but the parts are essentially the same.

Its been so long since i worked in a honda shop, so i know a bit, and kinda feel stupid for asking but all you have to do is take the water pump cover off to do the impeller but do you have to take the entire case cover off to do the rest correct?

and thanks for the illustrations
    2004 crf450r
    motosicko

by motosicko » Mon Mar 16, 2009 12:40 pm

If you are just doing the water seal you can do it by removing the impeller cover only. If you want to replace the oil seal, then the crankcase cover needs to come off. Best to do both seals,and bearing, mostly for peace of mind. But I have done just the water seal and gotten by.
    Last edited by motosicko on Mon Mar 16, 2009 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    "There are old racers

by 124 » Mon Mar 16, 2009 12:40 pm

logan6437 wrote:
    Its been so long since i worked in a honda shop, so i know a bit, and kinda feel stupid for asking but all you have to do is take the water pump cover off to do the impeller but do you have to take the entire case cover off to do the rest correct?

There are no stupid questions, only stupid answers! ;) Don't worry about it.

The impeller and water pump seal can be accessed through the water pump cover. You have to remove the right crankcase cover to access the bearing, oil seal, and shaft. It's easier to do the seals by removing the crankcase cover. The shaft should be CLOSELY inspected for wear. It's notorious for pesky leaks....
    70' Honda CT70 (Trail 70; Gold)
    16' KX450
    16' KX85
    12' YZ125
    logan6437

by logan6437 » Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:01 pm

124 wrote:
    logan6437 wrote:

There are no stupid questions, only stupid answers! ;) Don't worry about it.

The impeller and water pump seal can be accessed through the water pump cover. You have to remove the right crankcase cover to access the bearing, oil seal, and shaft. It's easier to do the seals by removing the crankcase cover. The shaft should be CLOSELY inspected for wear. It's notorious for pesky leaks....

ok sweet i'm sure ill start on it tomorrow and see what i find out, i think you said something about a copper washer up above, i looked and it looks like someone put another kinda washer on it idk what the deal is
    2004 crf450r
    motosicko

by motosicko » Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:27 am

Lay the bike over on its side, so the water doesn't leak out when you remove the drain bolt, and check that washer. It should be a sealing copper washer. If not, get one on there and your leak may be fixed. You first stated it looked like that is where the leak was. That is for sure the cheapest, easiest solution. :D It is also pretty evident if the leak is coming out of the weep hole under the water pump. you can see that while the bike is on its side also.
    "There are old racers
    logan6437

by logan6437 » Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:46 am

Nick Susco wrote:Lay the bike over on its side, so the water doesn't leak out when you remove the drain bolt, and check that washer. It should be a sealing copper washer. If not, get one on there and your leak may be fixed. You first stated it looked like that is where the leak was. That is for sure the cheapest, easiest solution. :D It is also pretty evident if the leak is coming out of the weep hole under the water pump. you can see that while the bike is on its side also.

well its good weather today so ill probly work on it today and see what i find out
    2004 crf450r
    logan6437

by logan6437 » Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:59 pm

well i worked on it a little today and it is leaking out of the weep hole, is there a way to change out the seal without taking the whole side of the motor apart, or if so any short cut steps
    2004 crf450r
    braap207

by braap207 » Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:52 pm

If your going to change one seal, well I would just do both, the parts are cheap and order extras, I would like to consider myself a weep hole master :o There is no short cut to taking the side cover off, but I can do the complete change in about 10 minutes. Drain your fluid, and go to town, pull off the side cover and follow the manual, just make sure you look at each seal and how it is placed on each side (inside and out) because they hav eto be placed in a specific direction, I would also inspect the bearing. If you plan on having the bike for a whileyou can do like I did on my 04 and switch out the impellar bearing, inner seal and outter seal. You don't need anything special to pull them and if you have new ones just punch out the old one at a time and replace them, super easy. Then put it back together fill up the Rad and start it and let it run, if you put the seals in backwards it will leak... Yeah I know from doing this :oops:

I don't ride dirty I ride canadian...
    05/06 NDMA MX Am State Champ

Your Mom goes to college is currently serving in Iraq