HOW TO REMOVE AIR/FUEL SCREW
  • docsniper0007

HOW TO REMOVE AIR/FUEL SCREW

by docsniper0007 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:08 am

This is my 1st post so be gentle , I purchase a mint 2008 CRF250x with one problem- the Air-Fuel mixture needs to be adjusted. I purchased billet screw and went to work-when I got carb tilted I discovered previous owner had attempted this but completely flattened the head on brass screw. I have not been able to get needle nose on it and even tried heat shrink to end of screw driver-didn't work. Any suggestions would be highly apricated-ride on
  • Back2-2

Re: HOW TO REMOVE AIR/FUEL SCREW

by Back2-2 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:18 am

Hello, well you have a bit of a problem - but it's repairable. The A/F screw is under tension but not very tight and should be fairly easily reversed out.
    One option: Use a left hand drill bit 1/8" or smaller and see if it will get a bite on the screw and reverse it out.
    Second Option: Drill very small pilot hole in the end that is remaining and try to get a easy-out to bite and reverse the screw out. Third option: Carefully try to use a pick and tap on the outside edge of the remaining screw head and slowly turn it out.
    Hope that helps - let us know how you do.
    Neil
    Black Hills of SD
    Life without Motorcycles would just be boring, really boring
    Honda 450X. Yamaha Tracer GT900. HD Fat Boy. Triumph Bonneville. Yamaha Majesty 400. Yamaha Grizzly. Yamaha Wolverine. Yamaha TW200
    JimDirt

Re: HOW TO REMOVE AIR/FUEL SCREW

by JimDirt » Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:25 pm

Welcome to the site !! \:D/

If the screw is not broken off , are you sure it is not the D shaped screw ?? .if so there is a driver head for that

https://www.crfsonly.com/catalog/produc ... ts_id/3294

If it is not D shaped , but still not broken and has the slot but its collapsed , perhaps you can use a small (eyeglass screwdriver comes to mind) screwdriver to spread the slot enough to get a screwdriver in and then turn it out , or instead of using a heat shrink tube , use a small piece (about 2" piece) of a carb vent line , and slide that over the (it needs to be round and narrow) screwdriver blade/tip , leaving it extending past the end , so when you slide the screwdriver to the tip of the screw , it goes over it enough to grab , it might be tight enough to allow you to unscrew it , i believe the vent line should be small enough to get in the recess of the hole

If that is not a option , then about the only other solution I can think of , aside from what Neil mentioned already , is to remove the carb from the bike , and remove the float bowl , this should give you more access to the screw and you should then be able to unscrew it , either using pliers , or whatever you can use to grab it and unscrew it ...hope that helped ;)
    2020 CRF450R
    2006 CRF450X
    Weiser , Idaho