Locked 47 posts
Dirt Rider's Internet Project Bike
    crfsonly
    Owner

Dirt Rider's Internet Project Bike

by crfsonly » Wed Feb 15, 2006 6:51 pm

To all the great members of the CRF's Only message board,

We have been invited as a message board to participate in a Dirt Rider story that will involved ALL OF US here in CRF's Only message board. Here's the confirmation invitation from Jimmy Lewis, editor of Dirt Rider:

Dirt Rider's Internet Bike Story

Who is in:
    thumpertalk
    crfsonly
    dirtrider.net
    ktmtalk
    minibiketalk
    dirtrider

Dirt Rider magazine has invited the above listed forums to participate in a bike build up, where the motorcycle that the members of each forum decide to build will be featured in an article in the magazine. Some boards are small and some are huge, hopefully we'll get an interesting mix of bikes for the story. The rules are pretty simple and as follows:

--We must have the finished bike delivered to us in Southern California no later than April 2nd.
    --We will need the bike for 2 weeks to photograph and test it. The bike will be tested for the purpose it was intended. MX bikes on MX tracks and trail bikes on the trails. Don't try and out think us on where we are going to test. We promise to get the bike in its element. Build the bike that represents the members! It would be best if the bike were set up for an average sized guy of average ability level, say 180 lbs, intermediate ability, but this is not a rule.

--The bike and what is done to it must be decided in a single forum on message boards by members of the site. In other words, there must be a clear and easily locatable track history of what bike is selected and what is done to that bike. We will have an address to that form in the magazine so the Dirt Rider readers can look in on it themselves to see the history. You can use polls, votes, other threads to make decisions, but everything should be traced back into a single thread to make it easy to keep track of. It is up to the forum moderator to make the final decision on specifics, but it should be done in the forum (in public) for all members to see.

--You can use whatever parts and changes to any bike that your forum sees fit, there are really no hard and fast rules other than these:

Using the MIC published RPM numbers for sound testing and the SAE J-1287 test procedure,
    MX bikes must be below 99db
    Off-road bikes must have a Spark Arrestor and be below 96db
    --Ideally the forum will first select the brand (very easy in some cases), then the model, the displacement, then decide how to make that bike the best it can be and show off the expertise of the members and what they believe is the best bike out there.

--Dirt Rider will not be shooting these bikes out or doing a comparison test with them. We will test them individually and show our readers what your forum thinks is the best bike out there.

So good luck and I'm really interested to see what shows up in April!

Jimmy Lewis
    Editor
    Dirt Rider Magazine

I normally have a free flowing philosophy with threads, thread-jacking, and letting threads run on. However, in this case I'll be more structured since we are on tight schedule and have something specific to accomplish.

Here's what we need to do and the order we need to do it:

1. Select the model of CRF we want to build.
    2. Select the modifications for the bike such as engine, suspension, controls, drivetrain, wheels, tires, electronics, accessories, etc.
    3. Appearance items such as plastics, graphics, etc.

Until we select the bike we won't have a modifications forum. I'll make a general discussion and comments forum to handle off topic conversations about the project.

I hope all of you are as excited about this project as we at CRF's Only are. The invitation demonstrates the recognition all of you deserve for making CRF's Only messge board a premiere site for information and knowledge about Honda CRF dirt bikes. Congrats!

Let get busy...Ken
    Last edited by crfsonly on Wed Feb 15, 2006 10:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
    PGer555

by PGer555 » Wed Feb 15, 2006 7:05 pm

I think this is one of the coolest ideas ever. We sure have alot of talent over here at crfsonly. I sure hope we win!!!
    drtbkr

by drtbkr » Wed Feb 15, 2006 7:22 pm

I vote for the 450X!
    CRF450X6
    '98 XR440R

uniped

by uniped » Wed Feb 15, 2006 8:08 pm

My vote lets Kill TT... I like the 250 especially for the average rider skills and expected wieght of 180. I am sure whichever will be the best of the bunch. We have a great group here and we all seem to have a common idea of the what would be the best for the group.

My suggestions, Of course all parts available from the site; stock exhuast fitted with the Baja Designs Baffle. Stage 1 Hot Cam, Kibble whites seem to be popular(Ken is now a good time to talk expense accounts?) J&E piston, Smog kit, Valve cover breather kit. Better get that Rekluse in there with the rear brake lever. Boyesen water pump Matched up with those fluidines protected by a set of Flatland guards. can we go Big on the tank?I sure wish that Project 321 was listed on the site(Ken?). Would your Graphics kit go with a set of White plastics? Gotta remember the bling... Doug we may need to borrow your skid plate. Oh and the guards to. throw on a good chain maybe that T ring I was reading about. Back those up with a good sprocket set think KRCRFs came up with some gearing ideas. Some colored rings strapped to Buchanan spokes set. Send The Stock Hubs to Troy at TCR in Lodi for a polish(his work has been in the mags a lot). A set of the choice rotors. Did I maention lets mget something blingy Maybe some Applied clamps linked to a Scotts dampner. Some Renthal fatty's and throw on some hand protection. Ken you got those Gel seats? while we are talking comfort send those legs to the shop we have a target weight but I would set it up for #195 so when Ken raffles the bike off I can win it.

well what am I missing here guys?

Scott
  • megamac

by megamac » Wed Feb 15, 2006 10:12 pm

I vote for the 450X, even though it was not ratede the best by them... We should read the shootout they did and add the mods to fix what they complained about!
    '05 CRF450X
    Fastaway Low Boy Pegs
    More to come...
    '00 XR650R
    - Uncorked, Power-up Mods
    '73 CR250 Elsinor
    '03 CR125R - Adam's
    '04 KTM 200EXC - Adam's
    '04 CRF50 - BBR 88cc mods!
    RottenRob

by RottenRob » Wed Feb 15, 2006 10:13 pm

This is going to be fun :D Obviously my vote is going for the 450X because I think it is the best all around trail bike ever produced, that's assuming we are going the trail bike route. I would not be opposed to converting a 450r to a full on trail bike.
    Uni you have some good ideas but I think cutting weight is a good thing to try to accomplish and an aftermarket pipe will cut a few pounds off. It will atleast balance out some of the weight that will be added with the armor we choose.
    rOb you can even get involved, remember it's not your money being spent. Thanks Ken :!:
    Life's tough, but it is even tougher when you're stupid.

by Guest » Wed Feb 15, 2006 10:17 pm

I vote for 450X :D
  • fat_boy_on_crf450x

by fat_boy_on_crf450x » Wed Feb 15, 2006 10:37 pm

I vote for the 450X also. I think Uniped hit most of the mods to start with and I would add the obvious - a JD kit, TwinAir Powerflow, airbox mods, pink wire mod (all the Honda Wrench Report stuff). I think the JD kit and airbox mods alone are more than enough to make up the difference in usable power that caused some of the magazines to give the nod to the WR versus the X. Definitely should include the Rekluse Z-Start, steering stabilizer and the Lynx computer.
    Scenes from KM1
  • 450x down under

by 450x down under » Wed Feb 15, 2006 11:31 pm

My Vote 450x and with the amount of guys who know about the X on this site you should have the best bling the best performance and the CRFs only Graphics.
    Anything you need from the austrlain part of the world let me know such as Bark busters or some bits to make it stand out from the rest.
    Leo
    450X
    250sxf Matt
    KTM 125SX Josh
    Excell rims
    Pink wire
    Air box
    Ti FMF Q
    Re jet with 170 main
    Graphics
    Ego bark busters
    Whipps bash plate
    http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e36/s ... C00402.jpg
  • Smash

by Smash » Thu Feb 16, 2006 12:29 am

Hi Ken,

I'm supposed to have some parts delivered within the next two weeks (machinist is a little flakey, getting another as we type) to get Throttle Workx going. I'd definately willing to donate all the parts that I'm having machined to the project. I also have an idea for an exhaust sponsor possibly (just a thought I'd have to speak with him first).

J
  • dobent4@yahoo.com

by dobent4@yahoo.com » Thu Feb 16, 2006 12:36 am

Yup, the 450X gets my vote, and this is one cool idea !
    This is 'our' bike, and I think it should reflect at least a lot of what our best sellers are.
    1. JD jet kit. They'll finally have to review it.
    2.Airbox mods, probably just the sides.
    3.Smog block-off kit.
    4.Rekluse
    5.Crfsonly fuel screw
    6.Rekluse with perch adjuster
    7.Scotts damper
    8. Our best selling triple clamp.
    9.ProTapers
    10.Cycra Probends
    11.Lynx or AceWell from Leo
    12.Works Elite Perch (works great with perch adjuster.)
    13.756's.
    14.All the TM Designworks bling, in red, with T-ring gold chain.
    15. All the Zip-Ty wheel spacers/axle adjust blocks, and Flatland odo spacer
    16. Unabikers
    17.Works skid plate
    18.Every piece of Works and Applied bling/protective goodies
    19. Hammerhead shifter and tip
    20.TwinAirPowerFlow system
    21.IMS 3.2 tank
    22.Applied crankcase ventilation kit
    23.Our best selling footpegs
    24.Assemblers choice of bitchin' wheels and hubs or hub treatment
    25.Crfsonly graphics
    Now, I'm sure some places will be going nuts with internal engine mods,but I'll bet you that points can be made for just a stock engine, with squared away jetting and get this, stock exhaust. Everyone is going to go crazy with big bore kits,cams,etc., but the noise thing they'll be making a big deal of. The bike is never dinged in comparison tests becaise of power, so maybe a stock exhaust with insert with dialed intake and jetting would blow them away ? It would definetly draw attention to itself by being the quietest bike, yet would still rip.
    It would also draw attention to the fact that no, the bike isn't 'spot-on" whatsoever with the stock intake and jetting, and that no, they haven't scratched the surface if the stock bikes potential. Just a thought.
    This is going to be fun ! Doug
    KRCRFs

by KRCRFs » Thu Feb 16, 2006 5:43 am

I vote for the 450X as well, just don't let the guys on the forum do the work! They'll hijack all the threads and nothing will get done.... :roll:

Just kidding guys.... Make us all proud! :mrgreen:
    Kim's: 04 250X
    13/51 with +11
    Main Jet: 138
    Air Screw: 2.5 Turns

Kathy's: 04 230F
    13/48 sprockets
    Main Jet: 132
    Air Screw: 1.5 Turns

Common:
    Pilot Jets: 42
    Stock Needles: 4th Pos
    No Screens or Baffles
    Open Air Boxes, Twin Air Filters
    -r0b-

by -r0b- » Thu Feb 16, 2006 6:25 am

Definitely sounds fun and my vote naturally goes to the prized 450X.

What are the financial constraints from which the decisions are to be based? I would assume fiscal constraints will dictate the prioritization of the modifications to be selected.

Who does the work?

Location?

Downside is the short timeline.
    -r0b-
    Middle TN

Lurker Extraordinaire
    uniped

by uniped » Thu Feb 16, 2006 6:56 am

Doug makes a great point although I am a fan of afteramrket exhuast we have several members who run the stock unit and have no thoughts of changing. I think stock would be apropriate for this project. Especially cuase we are chosing a trail bike. It may even be a shocker to them to see on the bike.

Scott

by 124 » Thu Feb 16, 2006 7:04 am

I'll throw in my lonely vote for the 450R. 250R is a little small for the intermediate rider at ~180lbs. I'm afraid if the X is chosen that someone will bring a dangerous katoom to the party that eats everything on the trail.

Just as every car review magazine and editor's choice picks Toyota/Honda and promptly picks them as "____" of the year. Just look at the Ridgeline at "Truck of the year". That's a truck?? NOT.

I'm afraid of the same bias towards KTM trail-wise. The Honda CRF450R still is the best of the best in most people's (and editor's) eye's on the track. Makes sense to me. :roll:
    70' Honda CT70 (Trail 70; Gold)
    16' KX450
    16' KX85
    12' YZ125
Locked 47 posts