Awful rattling noise coming from engine 2006 CRF450x
  • Brnjac

Awful rattling noise coming from engine 2006 CRF450x

by Brnjac » Mon Jun 03, 2019 4:04 pm

Hi All,

I am trying to troubleshoot this sound my bike has started making. I know these engines can are a bit on the noisey side, but this is somthing new that I haven't heard before. I have owned the bike since November and put about 30-40 hours on it. I have done regular oil changes and air filter maintence, but never checked the valves until now. One of the valve cover bolts was stripped from the previous owner so I didn't want to take it off any sooner than I had to. Anyways I've got the stripped bolt fixed with a helicoil and eventually got to the valves, the intake ones were a bit tight and the exhaust ones seemed tight as well.I went and exchanged some shims and put it back together, but the clearances still arent great so I will have to go back tomorrow and get some more. It's my first time using feeler gauges so I'm not exactly sure how the friction should feel.

Here is a video of the first startup since I had the bike apart for the valve check. Skip to 1:10 for sound:

The bike is really hard to kick, it feels like there is a lot of compression. Sometimes it would backfire on startup... I am thinking that maybe it's time for a valve job? I don't mind spending the money but I would like to confirm that first...

Thanks in advance everyone
    JimDirt

Re: Awful rattling noise coming from engine 2006 CRF450x

by JimDirt » Mon Jun 03, 2019 6:53 pm

Welcome to the site ......as easily as it started when kicking , it sounds like the valves are not too far off if at all , the hard E-Start sounds like either a weak battery or possibly the decompressor is not adjusted (the gap is wrong) correctly , 1mm too tight or too loose can make it hard to crank and have too much compression when kicking or Button starting

As far as the noise goes , it sounds to me like the timing chain itself or the timing chain tensioner is what is causing the rattling at the lower RPM range (which is the only time I heard the noise) so you either need to see if the Tensioner is working properly (remove it and make sure the detents work) , or it is possible that the timing chain is stretched a little and making the low RPM rattle

If you decide to take on the challenge , myself or a Neil or Ray , here , can walk you thru the procedure and even post up images from the Service Manual to guide you thru the process of doing any of it , if that is what you choose to do .......

Its a little tedious , but if you have decent or even somewhat decent mechanical skills you can do it .....
    02 CRF450R
    06 CRF450X
    Weiser , Idaho
  • Brnjac

by Brnjac » Mon Jun 03, 2019 7:24 pm

Much appreciated, I think you're onto something with the cam chain being the culprit for the noise. I'm going to get some different size shims tomorrow so I can dial in the valve clearances and be sure it's not a culprit. I will also see if they have another cam chain tensioner in stock, I had mine out today and just winding it in and out, somthing didn't seem right. Is it better to convert mine to a manual chain tensioner?

Also, when using the feeler gauges, some will be tough to get in, but slide nice once you get them in. Should I only be using ones that slide easily in?
    JimDirt

by JimDirt » Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:12 pm

I personally prefer the auto tensioners ...... I have only had one fail (just recently actually) on my 02 450R , its been there since the bike was new , so I am thinking the failure rate is minimal (I have had the bike since 08 , and my 06 X has never had a issue) , in fact the one for the 02 design is a bit outdated , so I upgraded to the 05 R model (exact same as the 05-16 450X and 05-08 450R)

As far as feeler gauges , if you can find skinny ones local then get them ..... or get these , these are what I and most of us here use ....
    https://www.crfsonly.com/catalog/produc ... ts_id/5034
    02 CRF450R
    06 CRF450X
    Weiser , Idaho
  • Aussiecrf230

by Aussiecrf230 » Tue Jun 04, 2019 12:13 am

Auto tensioners only really fail when they get carbon debris causing them to stick either too tight or loose.
    With you changing the oil regularly it should be the problem.
    The rubber on tensioner does wear like any chain slide.

Since the bike is relatively new to you, a new chain and tensioner as suggested by Jim will most likely fix the issue.
    Ray
    Australia

CRF230F 2004
    C30F Power Up needle
    Mains 132
    Idle 45
    2 turns out
    Baffle out, Screens In

It starts,it runs,it gets to where all CRFs can get to without the valve or valve plate dramas
  • Brnjac

by Brnjac » Tue Jun 04, 2019 2:02 pm

Hey guys,

Pulled out the tensioner today and screwed it all the way in... I was able to push it back with my finger. Safe to say it is toast, I have ordered another one from the Honda dealership and it should be in by Friday.

As for the bike being hard to kick, it feels almost like my electric start is engaged while I'm kicking? If I rock the bike back and forth in gear I can usually get rid of this, not a huge deal but I'd like to fix it once the bike is running again.

For my auto decompression clearance, I have it set to .635 mm with the right exhaust valve at approx .28 mm. It seemed almost too easy to set up? Now the bike feels like it has good compression when I kick, but not too much (unless the electric start gets stuck).

Thanks for the help everyone, I will post back when I get the tensioner in.
    JimDirt

by JimDirt » Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:17 am

If it feels like the E-Start is dragging , then either brushes in the starter .....OR *what I am thinking* , the one way starter bearing is going bad and dragging , allowing the starter to not completely release ...... and will act like a dragging brake ....
    02 CRF450R
    06 CRF450X
    Weiser , Idaho
  • Brnjac

by Brnjac » Fri Jun 07, 2019 5:24 pm

Well I changed the cam chain tensioner, the previous one was definitely broken. Now my bike won't start. Electric start is locked, it just makes a "click" sound.

I'm kicking like crazy and it just won't go. This bike is going to drive me nuts.

Only thing I've done since the video is change 2 shims, the cam tensioner, and went from a 70 to 50 leak jet. Plus the two shims I changed made the clearances closer. So I just don't understand why this damn bike won't start.
  • Brnjac

by Brnjac » Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:11 pm

Hi all,

When I first tried starting I think a wire fell off the ignition relay so it just flooded the bike.. couldn't get it statted. So I let the bike sit for a few days, kicked a few times... Started up. Ok? So I let it run for a bit (with a fan on the rad) and turned it off. It seemed to run pretty good (on the stand) but still the electric start wasn't working. Battery had 13 volts so I figured it was good. I come home from work today after the bike was on the charger, I just figured I'd tap the button and see if it even cranks (only relay was clicking before). I kid you not, the bike started up on literally the first crank, no choke, the fuel was even off. I couldn't believe it. So I did it a few times and it ran perfectly. Put everything back together fairings on etc. Took it for a burn around the block and everything seems good! Even seems to have a bit more power (maybe valve adjustment or leak jet?). Anyways, I'll be riding this weekend.

Thanks guys, hope to post back on the site soon.
    JimDirt

by JimDirt » Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:18 pm

Great !! , glad its going , now you just need to figure out what was going on with the starter , so it does not happen again .... :-k
    02 CRF450R
    06 CRF450X
    Weiser , Idaho