Rebuilt 250r refuses to start
  • Mixedgas401

Rebuilt 250r refuses to start

by Mixedgas401 » Thu Feb 20, 2020 6:18 pm

I'm new here and not sure if this is the proper place to post but seems the best spot.

I just replaced the rings and intake valves on my 04 crf250r. I used oem rings, set the ring gap properly, pro-x gasket set, and new pro-x steel intake valves and springs. The valve lash is .005" and .004", timing is spot on, carb is cleaned and jetting is all original and mixture screw is a little more than 2-1/4 turns out. Exhaust and the rest of the bike is stock except a uni air filter.

I have premium fuel in my tank and still smells and looks ok (bike hasn't been ran since October. Spark is nice and blue. This piece of . started after assembly and ran for about 5 seconds and I shut it off (no muffler or coolant and is in my basement). I kicked it the other night after adding coolant and putting on my muffler and it started but puttered out. I kicked it a few more times and it started and puttered out when I tried giving it gas. Hasn't started since. I have checked everything. The kick feels nice and solid so I feel compression is good although I haven't busted out a compression tester. The bike was a real asshole to start prior to valves wearing out but now I have a chunk missing out of my boot and my foot is swollen and I can't get . out of this bike. Any ideas???!!
    JimDirt

Re: Rebuilt 250r refuses to start

by JimDirt » Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:26 pm

Welcome to the site !! \:D/

I am going to say it is the gas ..... dump it and put it in your car/truck or lawn mower and put in FRESH Premium and re-drain the carb

Not sure of your location , but pretty much the majority of gas (even Premium) has Ethanol , so it breaks down fast ..... 2 months would be the MAX that it might stay good enough to fire these bikes up .... they just do not like old/weak gas (old being over 2 months old) , and you have had it in there double of what the longest I would be comfortable with , unless it was Race Gas , or Av Gas both of which are Non Ethanol ..... you can get Non Ethanol Premium in some stations (it is what I use along with a mixture of Av Gas)

Bottom line , if the bike started easily (with the exception of the valve issue) before , then the only thing remaining is the old gas , so that is where you need to start ..... drain the gas . put in fresh and report back with findings .... I am thinking it will solve your problem ........ if it does start right up but pops thru the muffler when you rev it or let off the throttle , then pull the Pilot Jet and replace it with a new one , as it only takes a slight amount of crud to clog it up and cause a lean condition and they are extremely hard to get completely clean ... and the jet is only about $6.00 at any bike shop (give or take $1.00 or 2)

One last thing .... you are new here , so you did not know ...... We try and keep this site as Family Friendly as possible , so try to contain the language a bit .... it does not offend me , but others here it might , as we do have kids/non adults visit this site frequently , so we try to keep this place from becoming Thumpertalk , which is anything except family friendly ..... , so just replace a few words with "better one's" in your descriptions , and all is well , and no harm done ...... ;)

Don't forget to report back with findings on whether replacing the gas solves all or most of the issue .... 8-[
    2020 CRF450R
    2006 CRF450X
    Weiser , Idaho
  • Back2-2

by Back2-2 » Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:37 am

I agree with Jim. If the fuel is old pump gas with ethanol it can clog a pilot jet faster than Jim on any Sunday. :)
    I doubt that the old fuel itself is what is not starting and keeping the engine running but it's certainly the easiest to change and try.
    I suspect from sitting since Oct. that your pilot jet is clogged. I clean them, Jim buys new ones - your call.
    Good luck & let us know what you find.
    Neil
    Black Hills of SD
    Life without Motorcycles would just be boring, really boring
    Honda 450X. Yamaha Tracer GT900. HD Fat Boy. Triumph Bonneville. Yamaha Majesty 400. Yamaha Grizzly. Yamaha Wolverine. Yamaha TW200
    JimDirt

by JimDirt » Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:39 pm

I agree with Jim. If the fuel is old pump gas with ethanol it can clog a pilot jet faster than Jim on any Sunday. :)
    I doubt that the old fuel itself is what is not starting and keeping the engine running but it's certainly the easiest to change and try.
    I suspect from sitting since Oct. that your pilot jet is clogged. I clean them, Jim buys new ones - your call.
    Good luck & let us know what you find.
    I clean mine as well .... , but I also have every main jet from #145 to #180 and every pilot from #42 to #48 , I just find most people/riders that do basic/minimal maintenance and not complete or serious maintenance like we would not blink a eye about , tend not to have a jet cleaning tool or a hydrosonic cleaner , etc. , at best they may have a welding tip cleaner and the smallest one of those is still too large for a #42 or #45 Pilot , or worse yet , they revert to a garbage bag tie :( , So it seems logical to just tell them to buy the jet and know it is clear when it is installed , rather then trying carb spray and not getting all the debris out , and still possibly having the same issue , or worse yet , using carb spray while the jet is still installed :shock: ..... 8-[
    2020 CRF450R
    2006 CRF450X
    Weiser , Idaho
  • Back2-2

by Back2-2 » Fri Feb 21, 2020 1:37 pm

Agreed. :)
    It is sure nice to have a shop and all the right tools.
    Neil
    Black Hills of SD
    Life without Motorcycles would just be boring, really boring
    Honda 450X. Yamaha Tracer GT900. HD Fat Boy. Triumph Bonneville. Yamaha Majesty 400. Yamaha Grizzly. Yamaha Wolverine. Yamaha TW200