Stalls in gear
  • Zphillip

Stalls in gear

by Zphillip » Sat May 04, 2019 9:24 pm

I have a 2011 crf250r and when in gear when your sitting with the clutch pulled in it makes like a clink noise and shuts off. The bike runs and shifts just fine and it doesn’t feel like they’re any problems with the clutch. Anyone got any ideas what it could be
    JimDirt

Re: Stalls in gear

by JimDirt » Sat May 04, 2019 10:05 pm

Welcome to the site !! \:D/

It could be a few things , can you give a bit more detailed description of what occurs when it does this , like frequency (does it do it every time ?) , is this only when the engine is cold ?? , or after riding for a while ?? , what type of riding are you doing when this happens ?? (MX track , trail , etc. ) , have you had the clutch cover off and or removed the clutch disks ??? , is there any notching of the basket itself ???

The more detailed explanation you can give will help diagnose the issue

If the basket looks like this (below) then that is most likely the cause
    2020 CRF450R
    2006 CRF450X
    Weiser , Idaho
  • Zphillip

by Zphillip » Sat May 04, 2019 10:43 pm

Welcome to the site !! \:D/

It could be a few things , can you give a bit more detailed description of what occurs when it does this , like frequency (does it do it every time ?) , is this only when the engine is cold ?? , or after riding for a while ?? , what type of riding are you doing when this happens ?? (MX track , trail , etc. ) , have you had the clutch cover off and or removed the clutch disks ??? , is there any notching of the basket itself ???

The more detailed explanation you can give will help diagnose the issue

If the basket looks like this (below) then that is most likely the cause
    It doesn’t happen all the time but it does seem to be worse and happen more often when I’m riding trail verses when I’m riding track. Whether the bikes hot or cold doesn’t really seem to have any effect on it. If i let out the clutch a bit with out giving much gas and then pull it back in it’ll clink a couple times and then stall almost every time. I haven’t taken off the cover yet but I’m planning on it tomorrow if I have the time. If the basket is notched will the basket just need replacing or does something cause the basket to notch that I’ll need to fix. Thanks
    JimDirt

by JimDirt » Sun May 05, 2019 6:54 am

Depending on the severity of the notching , and your budget , you may be able to file the ridges down and get by for a bit (I just recently did that to my basket) , but that is only a temporary repair and not a fix , as when you file the ridges down , then the gap becomes wider for the fingers of the plates and disks and it will start the process over again and be more severe when it does wear again , and the basket will then have to be replaced , but if it is like the picture or worse , then your best bet is to replace the basket (just the main basket) and you will need to measure the plates to make sure they are within spec , and if not , then replace them as well

Just thinking about this , I just remembered something .... (I think I just solved your issue :-k ) , I just remembered that the 2011 has a Judder Spring , and I believe that is your issue (Honda switched to the Judder Spring clutch around then , and its a pain in the butt and mainly contributes to low speed stalling) , so here is what I would do ..... remove the clutch plates/disks , and you will find at the back one plate that does not look like the others and 2 rings (part # 23 , 24 , 25) , and remove them and do not put them back in , then , buy a new set of plates/disks kit (it does not have to be from Honda , it can be Barnett or EBC or any brand you prefer) , then go to Honda and buy 1 "normal" clutch disk and 1 normal plate (part # 5 and 6 in the link below) , and put them where the 3 parts you removed were , and reassemble the clutch and you should be golden ....

http://fiche.worldofpowersports.com/yel ... R%20CLUTCH

, also , to be sure the basket is not the issue still , if you do not find any grooving as shown , grab the basket and try to wobble it back and forth , if it does wobble any , then the basket is toast and will need replacement regardless of grooving or not , as that will cause the clutch plates and disks to bind in the basket and that will cause your symptoms or contribute to them , also , if your RPM is too slow the bike can stall , especially while in a slow situation on a trail , so possibly turning up the idle slightly will help resolve the issue
    (not real high , just slightly , but under 2,000 rpm) , but for the most part , the symptoms you are having are clutch related in some form by the sounds of what it is doing
    2020 CRF450R
    2006 CRF450X
    Weiser , Idaho