2011 crf 250r
  • Hondacrfz3

2011 crf 250r

by Hondacrfz3 » Sun Apr 05, 2020 6:22 pm

I’ve owned the bike since new. I now have 30hours on bike. Didn’t ride bike but two short times last year. Bike was in basement of house all winter. Just took it outside today to ride and made four laps around a 4 acre property and bike shut off. Oils and fuel are good. I found that the bike will run fine until it gets warm then it loses everything like it loses spark. Any help on what this problem would be or a good spot to start would be great. It’s the first year for fuel injection on this bike wasn’t sure if that might be something? Thanks in advance
    JimDirt

Re: 2011 crf 250r

by JimDirt » Mon Apr 06, 2020 12:28 am

Welcome to the site !! \:D/

So when you say fuel is fine , did you drain it when it sat ?? or are you running race gas or non ethanol ?? , it is possible that the fuel filter is partially clogged and as you ride the particles from the gas sitting over winter are getting sucked up to the filter and causing it to die .... it is a possibility ...... and needs to be checked ..... they also had issues with the fuel pump themselves , they updated it https://www.crfsonly.com/catalog/produc ... ts_id/3960

BUT

What I would guess is the most likely suspect is the Stator , I believe they had issues with the first few years of the EFI 250 bikes and stators going bad ..... Do you have a Factory Honda Service Manual ??? , it will have all the test procedures you need to do to test the output , as the Owners Manual does not have any testing procedures for the fuel system or the electrical system ...... Are you getting any checklight error blinks ???

You need to test the stator for output , you can get a Service Manual here https://www.crfsonly.com/catalog/produc ... ts_id/3226 or from your local Honda Dealer , as unfortunately , I only have a Service Manual for 04-09 250R's , the rest of the years I only have Owners Manuals , which do not give the test procedures or specs needed to determine if any of the above is bad or not ..... :( , Otherwise I would post up the procedure , and I would bet the 11 is different from the 09 , so I don't think it would help ...

Hope that helped ;)
    2020 CRF450R
    2006 CRF450X
    Weiser , Idaho
  • Hondacrfz3

by Hondacrfz3 » Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:56 am

Thanks for the welcome; Big fan of Honda and never had an issue with one until now As i like to over maintenance but this has me scratching my head haha 😂🤷🏻‍♂️

The fuel in the bike is non ethanol fuel I think 90. It was almost totally empty when put in house. I filled it up the other day to top it off. The stator in the bike is aftermarket because I put a headlight on it. I have the factory one I can put back in it to test the idea if needed.

I do have the service manual for this just haven’t had time to jump into testing it. Thank you for you knowledge and some possibilities etc. I will do some testing this week and follow up.
    JimDirt

by JimDirt » Mon Apr 06, 2020 1:16 pm

Good that you have the manual , that will walk you thru all the tests you need to do to find the issue .... with the aftermarket stator , that might be the issue , but the stock one will confirm if it is the issue , so that will save you some drama , you can throw it in without even draining the oil , just lay the bike on its right side and pull the cover and swap them out .....
    2020 CRF450R
    2006 CRF450X
    Weiser , Idaho
  • Leardriver

by Leardriver » Tue May 05, 2020 12:49 pm

Maybe a plugged fuel tank cap vent? It's more of a Yamaha problem, but it's worth a couple of seconds to take the cap off when it stalls and see if it starts back up.