Rims
  • HUNTERMAN1123

Rims

by HUNTERMAN1123 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:41 am

im building a 2004 crf 450r and rims are my next purchase... leaning towards DNA rims are they worth it or should i just save the extra 600 bucks and get the excel a60 set.... 550 for DNA and 1200 for excel... thanks for all the help with previous subjects..
    riddler9

by riddler9 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:45 am

I picked up a set of DNA's late last year for my '09 250x. Not much time on them and have not had an 0-cr@p moment yet, so I cannot render an opinion on how they will hold up. Several local MX racers use them and say they have no regrets.

The initial purchase was painless, but ended up going back to DNA for a front spacer issue. They worked it out pretty quick. A bit of a pain but not enough for me to justify the additional cost if I had to do it again.
    Official Lurker

• HUNTERMAN1123

by HUNTERMAN1123 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:49 pm

i mostly ride in the woods... how do you think they would hold up.. and i heard the bearings go out fast... any advise on which ones to get and where to get them..
  • Asmith

by Asmith » Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:15 pm

HUNTERMAN1123 wrote:i mostly ride in the woods... how do you think they would hold up.. and i heard the bearings go out fast... any advise on which ones to get and where to get them..

They are Chinese made wheels. The company is based here in California and tries to portray that their wheels are made in the US...just assembled here.

The bearings and spokes are troublesome.

You'd be way ahead of the game going with RAD wheels if you are dealing with a tight budget.
    CRF'sONLY has a full set at $ 617.

http://www.crfsonly.com/catalog/product ... ts_id/3189

Of course, the top of the line Talon/Excel A60 set up with Buchanan spokes would be the ultimate in wheels.
  • Charlie C

by Charlie C » Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:48 pm

How about the G-Force wheels? Anyone done any homework on them? $499 for the set minus the rotors and sprockets. Can't be worse than the stock rims, can they? Read a few reviews on them and they were all postive. Any feedback on them?
    crfsonly
    Owner

by crfsonly » Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:17 am

we are a DNA dealer and can get you DNA wheels if that's what you decide to go with let me know. in fact, we have some in stock. we have personally tested them and like many others had bearing issues. we have replaced them with higher quality bearings and have no issues since. they are heavier than stock and heavier than other aftermarket wheels we've weighed. that said if you are looking for the least expensive wheels these are likely them. the RAD Econo wheelset is a higher quality option for not that much more. also, RAD Mfg. builds X hubs with the ODO pickup or without. So, for X owners DNA is not for you as you'll get the wrong wheel spacers.

ken
    OEM Parts for Honda - Yamaha - Suzuki - Kawasaki: http://yeltrik.com

by riddler9 » Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:07 pm

crfsonly wrote: So, for X owners DNA is not for you as you'll get the wrong wheel spacers.

ken

ken,

when I bought mine DNA said they had the space issue solved for the 450x but did not have a 250x to work with. The spacers the cut for my 250x after working with them are fine.
    Official Lurker

crfsonly
    Owner

by crfsonly » Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:40 pm

two things. one, they don't have a odo hub if that's what an X owner wants. two, true they can get the right spacer for the X but just about everyone that specifies a front wheel for a X will get an R front wheel. then they'll have to go through quite a lot before getting the correct spacers. then there is a high likelihood of having the bearing go bad quickly. i prefer offering Rad Mfg. Econo wheels over the DNA because they are not that much more and the quality and durability is superior and they are built to order so you will get exactly what you need.

ken
    OEM Parts for Honda - Yamaha - Suzuki - Kawasaki: http://yeltrik.com

by Ryan Obert » Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:29 am

i purchased a set of rad wheels for my 250x. solid wheels. raced mx and harescrambles on them and they are holding up great. $850 for red hubs on silver takasagos. plan on moving them to my 250r when i get the right spacer.
    FullMetalShep

by FullMetalShep » Sun Mar 04, 2012 12:36 am

I purchased a set of Excel rims and hubs.

Looks amazing in jet black, and have held up amazingly. No scratches even after numerous tyre changes and rides.

They were about £500 ($790) but worth every penny!

I did have to fashion my own spacer though...
    Current Bike:

CRF 250 X (2004)
    mxracer76

by mxracer76 » Sun Mar 04, 2012 2:11 pm

I have a set of Warp 9's and they are great!! Have bashed a few good size rocks, stumps, massive tree roots and logs and havent bent a rim yet. As for bearings, I use the pivotworks waterproof collars for added protection for the bearings, they work pretty good too!