transforming an X to dual sport ( on a budget )
  • rjhonda450x

transforming an X to dual sport ( on a budget )

by rjhonda450x » Tue Jul 01, 2008 1:50 am

would like to ask for any pointers on how i might do this. making my 06 450X street legal for work. for weekends slap the dirt wheels and tires on for the dirt. looking for any pointers on this or is it even possible.
    Just me

by Just me » Tue Jul 01, 2008 5:35 am

Depends on where you live.
    In arizona $110 in parts and a few hours of time and you can do it.
    Baja designs rear tail. (Plate mount, plate light, brake light and extra running light)
    K&L brake light switch
    Ken Sean mirror
    Mirror mount
    XR kill switch for horn
    Economy horn from Parts Unlimited

My local Honda dealer sells it as a package in the store.
    Mount the stuff, get insurance, go to the MVD and get it registered.

Now, from what I understand, if you are in the Peoples Republic of Kalifornia you can't do it anymore.
    Use only Genuine Interocitor Parts.06 250X Flatlands skid and rad guards. Clarke 3.1 gal tank. Cycra Probends, Rekluse Pro, correct springs. Horn, mirror, brake/tail/license lights and a hanger for the plate. That is all.
  • jeboniface

Re: transforming an X to dual sport ( on a budget )

by jeboniface » Mon Jul 21, 2008 8:01 pm

rjhonda450x wrote:would like to ask for any pointers on how i might do this. making my 06 450X street legal for work. for weekends slap the dirt wheels and tires on for the dirt. looking for any pointers on this or is it even possible.

Just got done installing a dual sport kit on my '04 250X.
    The kit was from dualsportamerica.
    The price was under $300. It has everything you need.
    The cool thing it uses the stock headlight and has hi/low beam. The turn signals are very understated and mount out of the way. I can't imagine hitting them in the woods. It also included both front and rear brake switches, horn and plate mount w/ light, and a key.
    Also ,when I had trouble finding the plug to tie into the OEM harness, I called and spoke to Lee Shaw at the company and he kept me on the phone until it was done and he wanted to hear it start before he would hang up.
    I highly recommend his product.

JEBoniface :D
    04 CRF 250 X
    06 CRF 150
    03 XR 80
  • DILLIER23

by DILLIER23 » Fri Nov 14, 2008 5:44 pm

I used the Baja Designs dual sport kit. Very nice installation, simple directions, you do need to be a bit mechanically inclined to do this. Works great! I am in Illinois by the way.
    bosshaug1

by bosshaug1 » Wed Dec 17, 2008 8:33 pm

As Just me stated, requirements vary by state. In AZ, you need headlight, tail and brake light, horn, license plate light and a mirror. I accomplished all this for about $60 total. I made my own license plate bracket for next to nothing -very easy with no special tools.
    2006 CRF250X -JD kit, R can/PMB endcap, CCC mods, 05Rcam, flatland rad guards/skidplate, street legal
    2005 CRF50F -stock
  • motomanx

by motomanx » Sat May 22, 2010 7:12 am

Rocky Mountain has a nice kit for under $200 that includes led handguard mount turnsignals