Hello All 450X riders
  • Gduncan

Hello All 450X riders

by Gduncan » Mon Oct 21, 2019 3:47 pm

Hello All 450X Riders: I am new to the Forum and just bought a 2019 450X.

I have had several dirtbikes in the past, but haven't ridden in a while. I've never owned a Honda CRF, a four-stroke, or a big-bore bike. I always wanted a Honda and finally got one. I rode it for the first time in Sacramento, CA at Prarie Creek SOHV area last WE (dry and rocky). I liked a lot about it, but need some help.

A few things I noticed was that the rear wheel seemed to lock up easily rolling down a steep hill in 2nd gear. Is this because it is brand new and will soon not lock up unless I press down hard? Perhaps an adjustment would help with some braking range, rather than no brake applied or locked? I only noticed this on the steep downhills coasting in gear.

The throttle was very touchy in slow rocky stuff. Super jumpy. The bike felt like it wanted to take off and it was struggling in the slow stuff.

As the day went on, I was comfortable with the power and it became more predictable, particularly in smoother stuff like open dirt roads. I was able to get the front wheel to come up a few inches in 3rd without it feeling like it would go over. I just let off the throttle and it settled right back down.

I see a lot about adding horsepower via pipes etc., but I wonder if I can get the throttle to have more range so it does not feel like an on/off switch. It has plenty of power for me. I am not worried about exhaust weight now.

Is a lot of this due to break in and it will be less jumpy in time? I don't want to regret getting the 450 and thinking I should have gone with the 250. I know I will like the power on big hills and open areas, but it is sketchy in the slow stuff.

Thank you!

Garrett
  • Aussiecrf230

Re: Hello All 450X riders

by Aussiecrf230 » Mon Oct 21, 2019 5:04 pm

Hi Garrett and welcome to the site.

To help stop rear wheel lockup down hill you need to get more of your weight to the rear so the tyre can bite. The other part of that is just getting used to your brakes and yes they probably are a bit grabby as the surface and pads are new.

Have you adjusted your rear suspension sag as that could be an issue as well.
    The best dollar you can spend is making your suspension work properly for you.
    If the bike rides smooth then it makes it easier (and safer) for you to ride.

You use to be able to get asymmetric throttle tubes a one stage so the first half twist was only say quarter throttle. The were great on spirited 2 strokes and mellowed the response a bit especially in single track riding. You could still mash it and make the bike stand up so best of both worlds. I have seen this on the throttle body end as well so the throttle tube remains standard.

As far as the 450 vs 250 debate, if you can pick up a 450 you can ride it. Yes will be better on fast rides and you can always change the sprockets or ride up a gear to keep it mellow and use the torque to move you and the bike. In fact if you keep the revs moderate it will last longer as well.
    Ray
    Australia

CRF230F 2004
    C30F Power Up needle
    Mains 132
    Idle 45
    2 turns out
    Baffle out, Screens In

It starts,it runs,it gets to where all CRFs can get to without the valve or valve plate dramas
    JimDirt

by JimDirt » Mon Oct 21, 2019 7:38 pm

Welcome to the site !! \:D/

Yea the 19's are a bit touchy on the throttle , like Ray said , you can look for a throttle tube with different cams that allow more linear throttle movement , all the new CRF's are like this , its a EFI thing , they are just more responsive/sensitive than a older carb model like what I have ........ the brake thing , as Ray mentioned , put your weight towards the rear , this will help , also (depending on your skill) going up a gear (3rd) will lessen the lock up , basically , if you can go up a hill in 3rd or 4th , you can go down it in the same gear , it will not have as much compression braking when you do that , but you might carry a bit more speed , but that should not be a problem ....

You can also get a flywheel weight/heavier flywheel , and that will lessen engine braking as well (I run one on my 450R) , it will take away some of the grabbyness of the tire you are feeling , as well as lessen some of that sensitivity of the throttle , it will also lessen any stalling if you are having that issue ..... If you weigh anywhere over 180 , a 450 is better suited to you , a 250 is better for lighter riders , but if you plan on hitting any hills (going up) the 450 will just pull you right up , where a 250 might struggle a bit , but usually on more level ground , either will be fine , but the springs may be a bit weak if you are on the plumper side of 180 on a 250X ...... Also as Ray mentioned , changing the gearing around a bit might lessen the hit a bit , going from a 51 (not sure what the 19 comes with) to a 49 or 50 will take away some of that snap , so you have that option and can combine it with the other items ... ... you should post up some pics of the new scoot ..... ;)
    2020 CRF450R
    2006 CRF450X
    Weiser , Idaho
  • Gduncan

by Gduncan » Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:11 am

Thanks, Guys. I appreciate the intel. I am new to this bike and want to set it up as stock as possible while getting the most out of the stock configuration. I'd like to start with some setting adjustments like suspension sag and rear brake control adjustment. The levers feel great (clutch and front brake), as well as the front fork. Tire pressure seems fine as well.

Overall, I am thrilled with the bike and want to get the most out of it. I will read all the pertinent articles and post as needed.

I will try it on stickier fire roads and single track in Forestville and Nevada City, CA (USA) soon, which should be better suited for the bike and my abilities.

Again, thank you!
    Garrett