Another Newb Afoot
  • Onetrackmind

Another Newb Afoot

by Onetrackmind » Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:29 pm

Hey guys, I'm totally new to the CRF side of Honda and found myself with an '05 450X. For the last several years, I have been messing w Honda trikes (250Rs and 350x) and it's been an experience working on these older (ancient) machines. I have found that there isn't much you can't do with tools, a shop manual and the right attitude.

So...here I am w a (fairly) modern liquid thumper. I found it listed in a small town a few hours from me and the price was right. The seller needed cash and was honest about the fact that he couldn't keep it running. He has had it for several years and never really had time to ride it.

When we met for me to look at it, he had to jump it to get it to fire...no big deal...dead battery I thought. I rode it for about 3 minutes before it died and I couldn't kick it back to life. We tried to jump it for a while and never could keep it running. That's when he started tuning it.

He simply twisted the carb in the boots to access the fuel screw and that's when I noticed that it didn't even have an insulator band on the venturi side of the carb! Obviously the filter side was too loose as well. (I do realize that I may be looking at a top-end and possibly a new bore...maybe even a valve job because of this extremely lean condition.)

I asked him to quit jacking w it and I offered him half of his asking price...eventually he took it. I guess he didn't feel like loading it back up and driving it 2.5hrs back home...or just glad to get rid of it.

After I got it home, I started tearing it apart.( Yes, I do have both the Honda service manual and the owners manual.) I found that throttle cable was way out of adjustment, the fuel screw didn't have an o-ring or a washer and the pipe was loose to the head. Actually the header nuts were rusted solid (not tight to the flange), and the studs screwed right out. Oh...and no gasket either. Several items contributing to a VERY lean state.

I did check valve and decomp clearance and all were right in the middle of tolerance. Actually, decomp was a little high...so I brought it back to .014. Compression on my Bosch tester was low at 53 psi...low I know. Rings could be shot.

So...I ordered all the parts that I could think of and left town for work (my job takes me away from home for a few days a week). My plan is to attack it Friday evening and all my parts should beat me home.

I also ordered a fuel screw from JD Jetting (love being able to turn them by hand).

So...my hope is that after I clean the carb, put in a (correct) fuel screw, actually tighten the carb in the boots, SECURELY fit the pipe to the head (and replace all exhaust gaskets) that I will have a running CRF450X for $600 plus $100 in parts.

I'm no stranger to turning wrenches and dealing with previous owner screw ups and neglect, but I'm really hoping this one turns out to be ok. My 10 yo son switched from quads to a CRF80 last year and dad needs a two-wheeled machine to keep up!
    JimDirt

Re: Another Newb Afoot

by JimDirt » Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:06 pm

Welcome to the site !! \:D/

And welcome to the world of CRF's , they are great bikes once you do a few things to them to get them setup for your specific needs

With that said , it sounds like you're going about it the right way , and you should be good to go , on a side note , i personally prefer the R&D Flex Jet , as it allows you to just reach down while riding and adjust the fuel mixture , but other than that , it sounds like you're well on your way to having fun and doing things correctly , and you got a killer deal on the bike , so even if it needs more attention , you will still have at least a $3500 bike when you're done with little tied up in it .... , so well done !! =DD

Any questions or issues you have just post away and someone here will be glad to try to help resolve your issue ........ ;)
    2020 CRF450R
    2006 CRF450X
    Weiser , Idaho
  • Onetrackmind

by Onetrackmind » Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:49 pm

Thank you sir...and thanks for the warm welcome. I came into this knowing full well that it may need a lot more than just a cursory tune-up and still feel comfortable with what I will likely have to put into it in time and money to get it right. Hopefully I can get it running without any major head work and I will definitely be money ahead...time will tell.

I will have to look into the flexjet...thanks for the input. I will post back after I have had more time to mess around with it. We have a day of riding at a local riding park on Saturday that I am trying to have it ready for. Wishful thinking? Lol...
    JimDirt

by JimDirt » Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:29 pm

Keep us informed on your progress , and IF you get to ride on Saturday , then give us a ride report ..... and of course if you have any questions , don't hesitate to ask.... ;)
    2020 CRF450R
    2006 CRF450X
    Weiser , Idaho
  • Onetrackmind

by Onetrackmind » Sat Sep 09, 2017 3:30 pm

So...i just thought I was going to be off this weekend, but my company had other plans. Two additional days (w/ an overnight) away from home this weekend. No chance to ride.

I did get to wrench a little last night and found something astonishing. Before I pulled the carb for a rebuild, I took off the bowl drain and the emulsion tube (with the main still attached) and the slow jet literally fell out of the hole. Not kidding. I rode this machine for about five minutes before I bought it...granted it ran like crap and he couldn't get it started again, but it RAN. How in the world it ran is simply beyond me.

I will be able to get back to turning wrenches tomorrow night and Monday. More to follow.
    JimDirt

by JimDirt » Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:38 pm

If the Needle Jet was loose , you might want to closely look at the Needle itself for any wear , also , if when idling the rpm raises and lowers , it would mean the needle jet is worn

It kind of sounds like the previous owner was not up on maintenance very will , so i would look EVERYTHING over very carefully to make sure everything is within spec , such as Swingarm and linkage bearings , ETC
    2020 CRF450R
    2006 CRF450X
    Weiser , Idaho
  • Onetrackmind

by Onetrackmind » Sun Sep 10, 2017 5:59 am

I have a needle, emulsion tube and all jets from Keihin ready to go in after the carb rebuild.

Yes, given the apparent neglect...I will be going through the entire bike and replacing common (and probably some not-so-common) wear parts. I'm sure the swinger collars/bearings will be fun as well as the knuckle...oh well. I'm very well versed in that saga dealing w 30 year old ATCs.

Thanks again for the input.
    JimDirt

by JimDirt » Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:36 am

No problem glad to help , keep us informed of your progress.... ;)
    2020 CRF450R
    2006 CRF450X
    Weiser , Idaho