New Owner Tips
  • Load62

New Owner Tips

by Load62 » Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:11 am

Hey! So I haven't rode a bike in ~12 years or so, and when I did, I never did a ton of the maintenance and such. I was more enjoying the riding portion of it. Well now that I am older, I got myself a 2005 CRF450R for what I would assume was a good deal. Looked amazing for it's age, either had new plastics or hasn't really been dumped much if ever. So I noticed I had a difficult time kickin this bad boy over (10+ kicks) and what I would finally get it started it would idle incredibly low and sometimes cut off. Even if the choke was pulled the idle would fluctuate more than I was comfortable with. Once going the bike ran great, minus a slight pop at high RPM which would go away if I let off the gas or shifted as well as the pops when I let off the gas while still in gear. Reading up this seems to be a jetting/fuel flow issue so I was wanting to go about doing that the correct way. I ride in Arkansas at roughly 500ft above sea level and I want to use the bike more for trail than anything else. Lastly there is an issue when going into first gear and taking off, I almost have to pop the clutch with a decent amount of gas or it wont go anywhere. I used to ride CR125 2 strokes and a few racing quads that never had that issue. I like the power but I want to be able to putz around and take off slowly as the first time I did it, I turned into a flag pole as the bike took off and I almost ran into a brick mailbox. Oof. I read a round a while in the forums and looked at some youtube videos but not many were geared to the 05 model, nor did they really explain the how to for dummies? I did a full engine rebuild before on an old suzuki 125 back in the day but that was about 15 years ago. So please be gentle with me. Any advice would be grateful such as what oil to use, how often to replace (heard some people change oil every 2-10 hours), and what to watch out for. Such as there being two oil reservoirs. I don't have a manual at all so I am kind of running around in the dark.
    JimDirt

Re: New Owner Tips

by JimDirt » Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:29 am

Welcome to the site !! \:D/

It could be jetting being clogged , and/or valves needing adjustment or replaced(Intakes usually) , as for jetting for your elevation (a good place to start) , here is a guide as to where to start , if your bike is popping I would suspect that the Pilot is clogged OR it is the wrong size for your elevation , they are around $6.00 so if it is a #42 for example , then replace it with the correct size (#45) **you will need to look closely near the tip where the screwdriver slot is , but on the side , you will see a number like 42 or 45 , etc. , that is the jet size

This is a jetting guide to go by , follow it and you should be good

Jetting Guide for Main Jet:(pilot 45) CRF450R/X

Sea level....165
    2000 ft.......162
    4000 ft.......160
    6000 ft.......158
    8000 ft.......155

Temperature/Elevation:
    One main jet size (up/down) for every 2,000 feet or 25 degrees in temp.

Check the Fuel screw , it is located at the front of the bottom of the bowl , you might have to tilt the carb base toward you to adjust it , unless someone has replaced it with a aftermarket .... set it somewhere in the area of 1-3/8 to 2-1/8 turns out from lightly seated (do not snug it down or you will damage the tip of the fuel screw)

You should invest in either a Owners Manual , or a Factory Honda Service Manual , they are filled full of all the info you will ever need to do maintenance on your bike , including rebuilds , and suspension maintenance ..... you can get them at your local Honda dealer , or buy them online , or buy one here ..... (the 07-08 Factory Service Manual is basically the same as the 05-06) https://www.crfsonly.com/catalog/produc ... ts_id/3226

Also , some starting tips ..... When the bike is cold , Turn on the gas , pull the choke , and give the throttle 4-6 full twists , then put pressure on the kickstart and slowly rotate the engine till you feel it get on the most compression (run it thru a couple times , so you know what the highest feels like) then get it on the highest compression , then allow the kickstart to come all the way up , then put your weight into it (like starting a Harley) and give it a good firm full kick , the bike should start right up , or close to it ..... this is basically how you start a 450 , it needs RPM to get that mass going , so you have to be firm when kicking it , you can't kick it like a 2 stroke ......

If you are trail riding the bike mainly and not track riding , then I would look into either gearing it down , either temporarily or permanently and/or adding a heavier flywheel or a flywheel weight , it will make going slow so much more pleasant , the stock gearing would be around 13/48 , I would go with a 13/50 or up to 52 (you will need a new chain......what I do is buy a 120 link chain , then buy 1 or 2 extra master links for it , this will allow you to use the chain links you removed , so swap to different rear sprockets , so you can experiment with gearing and find what works best for you)

Also , look at the clutch basket , if it is worn it will have grooves , they will make the clutch grabby , and make it harder to take off smoothly .... this is what a worn basket looks like

As far as oil changes go , it really depends on how you ride ... I ride my 02 on the track every weekend , I change oil about every 6 to 10 rides (each ride being in the 2 hour range give or take , so roughly every 12 to 20 hours depending on how dusty it is , or how hard you push the engine , I look at the oil and see what color it is , if it looks clean , then I keep running it till I see it get darker/dirty (look in the oil level window on the ignition cover) .... if you are just trail riding , I can see 20 or more hours not being a issue ..... the "recommended" intervals are for Racing , and just a "recommendation" not a mandatory interval ... I personally use Full Synthetic , it lengthens the intervals , and to me , helps with carbon build up and smoother shifting .... Petroleum based oils , I would change a bit more frequently than what I suggested .... and yes there are 2 oil locations , the engine side and the tranny side .... the filler for the engine is on the ignition cover (the twist off cap) , the filler for the tranny is located on the clutch side (the twist off cap) , both drain from the same side , but different drain holes .... The engine drain is located at the bottom of the the ignition cover just at the tip of the shifter .... The tranny drain is located directly behind that in the recesses just forward of the front sprocket (basically look at the ignition cover drain bolt , and the tranny bolt is just behind it back in farther)

690cc for Engine side with filter change (filter is located where the 2 screws are in the oval cover at the front side of the ignition cover just above the oil window)..... I run a full qt. in the tranny side (it won't hurt anything , and help with shifting ...run what I recommended in the engine side)

Hope that gets you started on your journey .... if you have any more questions , feel free to ask ...that is what this place is for ..... ;)
    2020 CRF450R
    2006 CRF450X
    Weiser , Idaho
  • Load62

by Load62 » Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:48 pm

Hey jim,
    You're a hero on these forums. So I decided to get an after market fuel screw and took it to the track today. They trails they had were too wet. I tuned it for 1 3/4 turn or so and I was able to kick start in roughly 3-4 kick instead of the usual 10-20 with choke pulled and 3 full turns of the throttle. I noticed I am getting used to the clutch but it still requires a tad more gas than I am used to. I might look into the different chains and such to see if that would be ideal. I have 3 tracks nearby and enjoy riding them but notice I feel a bit intimidated by the other riders but thats normal as I haven't rode a bike in roughly 10-12 years. Thanks for the advice!
    JimDirt

by JimDirt » Sat Mar 21, 2020 11:22 pm

No problem ..... Glad I could help some ..... I am 60 and still ride moto , it took me over a year to get back to riding after a Ken Roczen type crash like he had in 2017 ,I had the same crash that made my wrist look worse than his , he had 13 surgeries , I had 1 to save my hand , then while going to therapy for it , I had a heart attack , still have 1 blocked artery , then they found cancer and removed part of my right lung , at which time they paralyzed one of my vocal cords , that all happened in 1 year from Aug of 16 to Sept of 17 , it took over a year to get back on the bike ..... so I know what it is like to have to start over ...... don't worry , you will get back in the groove .......

Just remember if you are not comfortable doing something , then don't do it , it will keep you off the ground and out of the hospital ..... the riding will come back , along with your confidence .... don't worry about the other guys .... ride as hard as you feel confident in doing ..... if its less than the other guys , don't sweat it .... no one is off a bike for years , or even a year , and just gets right back to where they left off .... some never get it all back , I know I have not gotten all my speed back due to the nature of my injuries and all my medical conditions .... but I do ok , and I enjoy myself .... THAT ... is all that matters ...... keep that in mind and you will be fine .... ;)
    2020 CRF450R
    2006 CRF450X
    Weiser , Idaho