2009 Honda stalls at idle?
  • GreasyHands

2009 Honda stalls at idle?

by GreasyHands » Tue Jan 21, 2020 4:21 pm

Hey guys having some stalling issues with my 09 crf450r, I will start let warm up and idle and take it for a run down the street and will usually stall when I come to a stop or slow down. The engine was just rebuilt and runs strong, new rings piston and heads professionally rebuilt. I smell gas in the oil I was thinking maybe a leaky injector? Can this cause engine to die from over fueling? Or rings not properly broken in yet, the cylinder was honed.. new spark plug, and trail tech high output stator and new oem fuel pump installed. The bike will start without fast idle knob out also, I went clockwise on it which should be less fuel but will still just randomly stall while idleing..
  • Aussiecrf230

Re: 2009 Honda stalls at idle?

by Aussiecrf230 » Wed Jan 22, 2020 1:23 am

Hi GreasyHands,
    If it stalls when stopping I would increase the idle speed slightly.
    The motor may be still a little tight and just needs to idle faster for the time being. Might just need slightly rich mixture as well.
    Check the clutch is fully disengaging as well since you have had the motor out.
    It maybe dragging enough to cause stalling.

The cylinders on the engines are plated and makes them very hard wearing.
    This surface should not be honed when replacing piston and rings.

You would normally clean the surface with some wd40 and a scothbrite rubbing with the cross hatch to clean the carbon off the cylinder walls.
    Ray
    Australia

CRF230F 2004
    C30F Power Up needle
    Mains 132
    Idle 45
    2 turns out
    Baffle out, Screens In

It starts,it runs,it gets to where all CRFs can get to without the valve or valve plate dramas
    JimDirt

by JimDirt » Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:58 am

Welcome to the site !! \:D/

The 09's were notorious for stalling , it is mostly in the mapping , increasing the idle will help , but the best "fix" would be a remap , I think Leardriver could tell you more on this , as he is the Carb/EFI expert around here ....... Also The clutch can play a factor with stalling as well , as it sometimes does not release all the way either by a worn/notchy clutch basket or the Judder Spring configuration that was first implemented in 09 and continues to this day , and only having 4 clutch springs instead of 6 springs like in prior years and current years , these all can contribute to stalling at low RPM ....... If when you stick it in gear at a idle and the bike almost stalls , I would look at the clutch as a most likely cause .... The mapping sucks on the 09 , but I think the clutch is as bad if not worse for causing issues ;)
    2020 CRF450R
    2006 CRF450X
    Weiser , Idaho
  • GreasyHands

by GreasyHands » Thu Jan 23, 2020 4:28 pm

Thanks for info guys, so to increase my idle I would go counter clockwise on my fast idle knob right? As far as my clutch goes it does seem a bit noisy, hard to describe it’s like a wonk, wonk wonk lol. When I bought bike it was blown up it came with a Barnett billet clutch basket but inner hub is still a stock 4 spring, I put all new metal plates, friction plates and springs in clutch but I do remember seeing some notching on basket, there is no jutter spring in mine I wonder if I need one... I’ve seen Toko mods offer a re-map service I don’t know anyone locally here in Florida, anyone you guys can recommend. It also came with a full Leo Vince exhaust not sure if they remapped to it. Thanks
    JimDirt

by JimDirt » Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:47 pm

Judder spring causes more issues than it solves , usually the first thing that gets removed is that with a normal friction plate ....... heavier springs may help , but if the basket is grooved , it is going to be jerky when disengaging and could cause stalling by it grabbing

Not sure about Florida (I am in Idaho , and others here are in Australia and California and Arizona) so your best bet would be to ask at the local bike shops to see who everyone uses , or get a aftermarket one from Tokyo Mods or GET or something ...... but it should not be a must do , just a improvement thing , it should run without stalling provided it is set up correctly , and yes counter clockwise should raise the idle .... , try that first , if it still stalls , then look at the clutch grabbing as a issue (how grooved is the basket ??)

If it is like this , it is worn and needs replaced (you can file it down smooth to get you by for a while , but it will need to be replaced soon if it looks like this)

2020 CRF450R
    2006 CRF450X
    Weiser , Idaho
  • GreasyHands

by GreasyHands » Mon Jan 27, 2020 10:23 am

Thanks again guys for great info, went through my manual and adjusted clutch to factory, then went two turns up on idle and no stalling!