Oil leaking from head bolts
  • #197 CRF Scrub'N

Oil leaking from head bolts

by #197 CRF Scrub'N » Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:08 pm

Hello, I'm new to this forum and I had a question for anyone who has had this similar problem or possibly knows how to fix it. The problem I'm having is oil is collecting on the bolt heads of the engine head. It is the two bolts that are located slightly under the spark plug on the left and right side. The spark plug, the spark plug hole/threads, and head and valve gaskets are clean. I could be completely wrong of where the oil is coming from but the parts I have described are the only ones that have a significant amount of oil on them. I've attached a file of a blown up scimatic of the engine parts and the parts labeled #5 are the bolts that have oil on them. I need to know if this is a common issue and if it can be fixed easily and how to fix it. Any information given would be tremendously appreciated. From one rider to another. Thank you very very much.
    You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
    JimDirt

Re: Oil leaking from head bolts

by JimDirt » Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:43 pm

Welcome to the site !! \:D/

I am a little lost as to what bolt you are referencing , the #5 looks to be the Decompressor arm ,, what year is the bike ?? , so I can look at the parts Fiche , if the bolt is within the valve cover , it would be covered in oil , so that is why I am confused .... if you were saying it was the 2 bolts on the left side of the head at the base , then I would say it is a head gasket , but need more info here , or better yet , a picture of the actual part where it is leaking ........ hard to decipher what is going on when looking at a Fiche rather than the actual part .........
    2020 CRF450R
    2006 CRF450X
    Weiser , Idaho