2009 crf450r transmission problem
  • GreasyHands

2009 crf450r transmission problem

by GreasyHands » Thu May 09, 2019 7:37 am

Hey guys new to forum, thanks for all the good info! So I bought a 2009 crf450r basket case for a supermoto project. The crank was bad when I bought it so I’m doing a complete rebuild, when I put cases back together and test transmission it seems to get hung up in between gears like going in to second it will stick and not want to go up or down without persuasion then it will shift well and stick again in between. I have replaced multiple gears that are worn, Shift forks look good, I think it could be shift drum but it looks pretty good but I’m no professional. I’m testing engine level and with center drum attached and gearshift drum stopper, with a socket and rachet. I also have manual for bike so I have complete diagram of parts and which order they go. I will post some pics of gears replaced, shift drum, and it being stuck in between. Thanks
    You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
    JimDirt

Re: 2009 crf450r transmission problem

by JimDirt » Thu May 09, 2019 9:56 am

Welcome to the site !! \:D/

When you say the shift forks "look good" did you actually check them with the specs in the manual ??? , a fork can be bent and not "look" bent , as well as the shift shaft(where the shifter attaches) can get bent in a fall , and bind up ..... BUT , I am assuming the bike was apart when you got it ?? , if so , are you sure the shims are in the correct location and the gear shafts are not pushed to one side of the case or the other because too many shims are on one side , and not enough on the other ???

There can be a number of parts that can cause binding , including on the clutch side where the shifter detent cog and spring is , right down to the shifter shaft , not counting the gear parts ...... if you are certain that the shims are in the correct locations , and have measured the shift forks for deformities , then look into the shifter shaft (going from the shifter to the clutch side) , and make sure it is not bent from a impact ......other than that , generally , when shifting is hard in places or in general , it is usually a shift fork , or possibly the shift drum , but I would think you would see obvious signs of wear on the drum .... :-k
    2020 CRF450R
    2006 CRF450X
    Weiser , Idaho
  • GreasyHands

by GreasyHands » Fri May 10, 2019 10:31 am

Hey thanks for reply, so according to my caliper my center shift shaft is beyond service limit so I will replace that, LR Shift shaft is within limit. Shift fork claws are all within spec but all there fork ID specs where they ride shaft are worn out of limit. If I replace both shafts will that be enough to tighten tolerance or Should I order all shift forks?? Thanks
    JimDirt

by JimDirt » Fri May 10, 2019 4:43 pm

I personally would do the shift forks as well , it would be a shame to put it all back together to only find out they were part of the problem , and have to tear it all apart again .....
    2020 CRF450R
    2006 CRF450X
    Weiser , Idaho
  • GreasyHands

by GreasyHands » Sat May 11, 2019 11:53 am

For sure, I got all three forks and both shafts, Hopefully this fixes my problem. Thank for info!