water pump leak 04 450r
    logan6437

by logan6437 » Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:20 am

braap207 wrote:If your going to change one seal, well I would just do both, the parts are cheap and order extras, I would like to consider myself a weep hole master :o There is no short cut to taking the side cover off, but I can do the complete change in about 10 minutes. Drain your fluid, and go to town, pull off the side cover and follow the manual, just make sure you look at each seal and how it is placed on each side (inside and out) because they hav eto be placed in a specific direction, I would also inspect the bearing. If you plan on having the bike for a whileyou can do like I did on my 04 and switch out the impellar bearing, inner seal and outter seal. You don't need anything special to pull them and if you have new ones just punch out the old one at a time and replace them, super easy. Then put it back together fill up the Rad and start it and let it run, if you put the seals in backwards it will leak... Yeah I know from doing this :oops:

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

do you have to pull the clutch off and apart to take the cover off and i don't have a manual i'm doing everything from memory which so far is a pain but i'm trying to fix my truck, car, and get an apartment so i'm trying to spend as little money as possible and spread the cash around
    "Who ever said nothing was impossible never tried slamming a revolving door"
    "Chuck Norris can kill two stones with one bird."
    "In the bible Jesus turned water into wine, Chuck Norris turned that wine into beer"
    2004 crf450r
  • Asmith

by Asmith » Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:28 am

logan6437 wrote:
    braap207 wrote:If your going to change one seal, well I would just do both, the parts are cheap and order extras, I would like to consider myself a weep hole master :o There is no short cut to taking the side cover off, but I can do the complete change in about 10 minutes. Drain your fluid, and go to town, pull off the side cover and follow the manual, just make sure you look at each seal and how it is placed on each side (inside and out) because they hav eto be placed in a specific direction, I would also inspect the bearing. If you plan on having the bike for a whileyou can do like I did on my 04 and switch out the impellar bearing, inner seal and outter seal. You don't need anything special to pull them and if you have new ones just punch out the old one at a time and replace them, super easy. Then put it back together fill up the Rad and start it and let it run, if you put the seals in backwards it will leak... Yeah I know from doing this :oops:

do you have to pull the clutch off and apart to take the cover off and i don't have a manual i'm doing everything from memory which so far is a pain but i'm trying to fix my truck, car, and get an apartment so i'm trying to spend as little money as possible and spread the cash around

PM sent.
    logan6437

by logan6437 » Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:42 am

~ wrote:
    logan6437 wrote:

PM sent.

thank you very much, so im still wondering why you would drill a hole in the impeller what does that really help
    "In the bible Jesus turned water into wine, Chuck Norris turned that wine into beer"
    2004 crf450r
    braap207

by braap207 » Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:02 pm

I'm no japanese honda technician but I would presume it would be to relieve the pressure on the seal. All i know is I drilled it out after 3-4 seal replacements and its been good ever since I did the quick fix. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: I'm sure Agent sent you some good info on changing that bugger :twisted:
    I don't ride dirty I ride canadian...
    05/06 NDMA MX Am State Champ

Your Mom goes to college is currently serving in Iraq
    logan6437

by logan6437 » Thu Mar 19, 2009 9:19 am

braap207 wrote:I'm no japanese honda technician but I would presume it would be to relieve the pressure on the seal. All i know is I drilled it out after 3-4 seal replacements and its been good ever since I did the quick fix. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: I'm sure Agent sent you some good info on changing that bugger :twisted:

yeah that would make sense ok well i have to change the seal out anyways now trying to get it out messed it up so oh well but i will try drilling my impeller and hopefully it will help also
    2004 crf450r
    logan6437

by logan6437 » Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:59 am

well tore it all apart and took the water pump seal out and looked everything over, is the water pump shaft supposed to have any groves in it, there is what seems to be two factory looking grooves, and of course the local shop has only half the parts so wait a couple more days
    2004 crf450r
    motosicko

by motosicko » Thu Mar 19, 2009 12:32 pm

New shaft is smooth. The grooves are from wear against the seals. You need a new shaft, seals,bearing, and gaskets. You may look at the water pass collar and O-ring in the crankcase also, those tend to distort over time and leak.
    "There are old racers
    and there are bold racers,
    but there are no old, bold racers who don't walk funny."
    logan6437

by logan6437 » Thu Mar 19, 2009 2:17 pm

Nick Susco wrote:New shaft is smooth. The grooves are from wear against the seals. You need a new shaft, seals,bearing, and gaskets. You may look at the water pass collar and O-ring in the crankcase also, those tend to distort over time and leak.

water pass collar? im glad i only spent 2k on this bike if i would have bought an expensive one and had to do all this i would be pissed
    2004 crf450r
    motosicko

by motosicko » Thu Mar 19, 2009 2:36 pm

All those parts total about $60. That's a fairly cheap fix in my books. Less than a back tire.
    "There are old racers
    logan6437

by logan6437 » Thu Mar 19, 2009 2:41 pm

Nick Susco wrote:All those parts total about $60. That's a fairly cheap fix in my books. Less than a back tire.

that is a pretty cheap fix but, i actually got a back tire for 40bucks they had an overstock of them, but what was the water pass collar you mentioned
    2004 crf450r
    motosicko

by motosicko » Thu Mar 19, 2009 4:54 pm

logan6437 wrote: but what was the water pass collar you mentioned

It's the water passage collar and O-ring between the crankcase cover and case, right above the impeller shaft.
    COLLAR, WATER PASS (18MM) 11102-MEB-670 $2.62
    O-RING (17.8X2.4) (SHOWA) 91256-383-721 $1.82
    "There are old racers
    logan6437

by logan6437 » Sat Mar 21, 2009 10:58 am

Nick Susco wrote:
    logan6437 wrote: but what was the water pass collar you mentioned

It's the water passage collar and O-ring between the crankcase cover and case, right above the impeller shaft.
    COLLAR, WATER PASS (18MM) 11102-MEB-670 $2.62
    O-RING (17.8X2.4) (SHOWA) 91256-383-721 $1.82

are you talking about the kinda flimsy one thats about the size of quarter around, if so it still looks smooth and shinny, is there and lube to put on the bearing or does it get lubed just by oil
    2004 crf450r
  • MXer911

by MXer911 » Tue Mar 24, 2009 4:47 pm

Not to hijack the thread but I just pulled my case off and I'm in the process of changing out the water seal, oil seal, bearing etc. Whats the best method for removing the water seal? Mine seems to be in there pretty good so any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
    logan6437

by logan6437 » Fri Mar 27, 2009 3:58 pm

MXer911 wrote:Not to hijack the thread but I just pulled my case off and I'm in the process of changing out the water seal, oil seal, bearing etc. Whats the best method for removing the water seal? Mine seems to be in there pretty good so any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

mine seemed to come out really easy once you have the case off and the shaft out you can grab it gently with needle nose pliers
    2004 crf450r
  • MXer911

by MXer911 » Fri Mar 27, 2009 6:36 pm

I tried the needle nose pliers and the rubber gave way before it came out... damn thing didn't even budge...lol but I had it replaced today so its all good..lol Thanks.