who's riding these 230's
  • dsrpilot

by dsrpilot » Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:04 pm

51 male. I rode when I was a kid from about 10-20ish. Had a CT70, SL100, CB360t, and a 550four in that order. Then didn't ride for about 30 years and just picked it up this past summer. I have a cousin that came to town once a year and brought 2 bikes that we would ride (blue ones). That went on for a few years until we decided to make it a family sport. Unfortunately my 12 yo daughter didn't take to it, but the rest of us were too hooked to turn back.

11 yo son will be upgrading this spring, wife is happy with her 150f, and I'd love to have a 250x, but will probably hold off unless an amazing deal comes my way.

I like the maintenance of the "F" models. Gas, oil changes and clean the air filter. Then ride the wheels off 'em.

We love single track deep woods stuff. Main place we ride is supposed to be building an MX track this year, so the boy is definately looking forward to that.

Plan to ride until I'm buried....
    '12 CRF450X - son
    '09 CRF250X and 2010 F800GS lowered - Wife
    '12 CRF250X and 2012 F800GS - me
    GhostX

by GhostX » Mon May 31, 2010 2:56 pm

44 years young, and male. Bought the 230F four years ago, and enjoy riding it in the California deserts, although haven't done much riding recently.
    2006 CRF230F

See the list of Mods in My Garage:
    http://www.crfsonly.com/forum/garage.ph ... le&CID=190
    jimmy230

by jimmy230 » Sun Nov 03, 2013 12:10 am

I'm 42 years old. I owned a KTM EXC 400 for 5 years and fefore this a YAMAHA TTR 250 OPEN ENDURO. I also had a scooter for everyday use in the city.This year i decided to sell them both and have one bike for both city and enduro rides. H bought a crf 230 easy enduro by HM.I have done two enduro rides so far and i am very impressed with the 230. I like it cause i it is stress free. Going anywhere with a little effort. Only problems for me are the luck of power but it is redused by the very short 1st gear and the small distance fron road. My modifications are skid plate, fork protectors, hand guards and looking desperately for side frame guards. You can see my second ride here: http://www.ourphotos.net.au/albums.php?album=6777
  • MetricMuscle

by MetricMuscle » Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:08 am

I'm 45.
    I live in hilly Eastern Tennessee.

The woods riding here is great. I live on a wooded ridge with a few miles of trails and I'm close to large riding areas like Royal Blue and Wind Rock.

When I factor experience and reality into making purchases, I usually end up with a mellower machine and I'm lots happier.
    Even if I wanted to ride faster, the terrain around here is too tight and requires good throttle control over big power. There are very few places to pin it and go fast, it's all slow to medium paced. I don't think I'd be any faster on a true MX bike, CRF250 or 450 and would probably be posting this from the seat of a hover-round.

Features I like about the CRF230F
    - Size and seat height, much better for the woods.
    - Engine power delivery, electric start, quietness and economy. Electric start is nice when you fall down on a steep technical off camber trail and are in no position to kick start anything. I have not wanted for more power at all and love the smooth easy power which stays cool easily and goes long distances on little fuel.

Features I'd like to be better
    - Better suspension but not taller.
    - Easier cold start.

If I had any intention of racing on a track or in the woods I would have gotten a more race oriented machine like a CRF250/450.
    jlstoo

by jlstoo » Tue Jun 24, 2014 5:11 am

68, very healthy, retired at 62 and had been Mountain Biking the trails for many years but when I retired I decided to start enjoying motorized fun for a change so pondered either a dirtbike or a 4 wheeler. Weighed pros and cons of both options for my needs and decided on a trail bike and glad I did.
    I first bought a good running older fixer upper blue 200 trail bike, fixed it up fairly nice and the little bike was stolen almost immediately. Neighbors must have sat and watched the progress over the weeks and helped themselves to it.

So again not loyal to any brand I watched Craigslist for awhile and found my 230 (about five years ago) 250 miles away and bought it from a young Air Force Captain over at Barksdale AFB, Bossier City, LA being deployed to middle east. Bike was well maintained, like new not many hours I was told and a fair price delivered to my front door.

I don't think, for my kind of riding that I could have ended up with a better trail bike than the 230.
    Easily enough power for me in the sandy and lightly mud, 2nd-4th gear, trails that I ride.

Trail riding the back woods and swamps, primitive camping and fishing are my sports and passions in my retirement.
    I am 6'2" about 180lbs and the 230 easily hauls me and a lot of camping and fishing gear.

I am presently tricking the 230 out with new colors and going to OD green plastics to cover the red and white stuff and matte black on all shiny stuff, rims, frame, forks, and motor.
    Doing most in Plasti Dip so should be able to revert back to stock colors with little problem if ever I want to go back.
    Also recovered seat with digital camo fabric.
    DIY PVC racks on front and rear with soft bags all over for gear. Mostly OD and camo military surplus packs and bags. Going to add on too many other bells and whistles, and other ideas, to even begin to mention here.

Two short comings to the 230 for my needs is I would like a kick start for backup and stronger coil for a few small electric accessories but other than that the 230 is perfect for me.
    I'll probably never sell it, my last bike in life for me at my age so to speak.
  • NCJason

by NCJason » Wed Dec 24, 2014 6:20 pm

Male, 26 years old, never rode anything but ATV's. Just purchased a 2015 model new so I could ride around with my niece, nephew and neighbor who are all getting bikes for Christmas. Will be doing all trail riding and playing around in the woods.

This will be a great bike for me to follow them around on and if/when I get comfortable riding and need more, I can move up to 250 class bike.

Plan on installing the power up kit in a few months.
  • hwlake

by hwlake » Sat Oct 24, 2015 3:23 pm

I started on an xr200 2 years ago, upgraded to an 09 crf230 at the beginning of this years...I'm 29. loving the bike, but i expect to upgrade to something with better ground clearance and better suspension and more power and and and in the next 1-2 years. i ride tight woods so i have been happy with the bike overall.
  • Aussiecrf230

by Aussiecrf230 » Mon Oct 26, 2015 4:06 am

They are good woods bikes as long as you don't have to get over large logs.
    Ray
    Australia

CRF230F 2004
    C30F Power Up needle
    Mains 132
    Idle 45
    2 turns out
    Baffle out, Screens In

It starts,it runs,it gets to where all CRFs can get to without the valve or valve plate dramas
  • blimpmancrf230

by blimpmancrf230 » Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:19 am

Male, 60 yrs old. been riding off road since i was 12. Took a long time off raising kids. I have owned many bikes and I think the CRF230 is my favorite. I own a 2004 CRF230F. New parts are being added weekly.
  • Old Dude

by Old Dude » Sun Feb 12, 2017 1:41 pm

65 years old. I started riding at 28 y/o, rode desert and raced MX and Hare Scrambles on 2strokes for 13 years in SoCal and NorCal. I took a break til I was 54 y/o when I bought my first 230. I had bad knees so needed the e start and felt I would be satisfied and safe with its limited power and suspension potential. After about a year of heavily moding the 230 I bought a 250X. I modified the 250X to race MX but have yet to do that with it. I love that bike but missed the 230. Bought another 230 and modified it heavily. That is an awesome trail bike. Had it plated so I can ride from house to trails in the hills of Central Cal. Found a plated one and kept it mostly stock for guests to ride. Bought the wife a 150 added e start and big wheels. She didnt like it so I built the motor up to 247cc madified (not a typo) the suspension (XR250 forks, disc rear and FoxPodium shock} and put 230M (supermoto) wheels on it (it was plated). I had a spare set of wheels on hand for it if ya wanted to get dirty with it. It did dirty very well and was arguably the best in the 230 stable. It has since gone to my shop guy to be ridden and raced in NorCal.
    So you see, a lot can be done with the 230 platform. It can serve a broad spectrum of riders and can be made to handle all kinds of conditions. I would not hesitate to describe it as an awesome machine.
    I have since moved to East Texas where I trail ride and back road the 2 I have left.
    Had my knees replaced and am still waitin to MX the 250X at Swan MX in Tyler.
    O.D.
    '06 250X: http://crfsonly.com/forum/garage.php?mo ... le&CID=386
    '03 CRF230
    '04 CRF230
    '08 750 Shadow Spirit
    '01 Polaris Sportsman 600
    '03 CRF50
    '04 KLX110
    Kazuma Falcon90
  • Aussiecrf230

by Aussiecrf230 » Sat Feb 18, 2017 6:17 pm

Ah the knees, that is my problem.

It is actually more comfortable standing than sitting, go figure.
    Ray
    Australia

CRF230F 2004
    C30F Power Up needle
    Mains 132
    Idle 45
    2 turns out
    Baffle out, Screens In

It starts,it runs,it gets to where all CRFs can get to without the valve or valve plate dramas
  • Ryno

Re: who's riding these 230's

by Ryno » Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:22 pm

I am considering purchasing a 2017 crf 230f and I was wondering if anyone could tell me if this bike will accomodate a 230lb rider. I'm not quite as small as I was 20 years ago. Lol. Anyways I'm not looking for a rocket but 50 mph would be nice and the occasional wheelie is a must. The bike would be used mainly on the back 40 and the occasional trail. I'm new to dirt bikes but have been riding cruisers for sometime now. I guess my question is do u guys think the 230f would suffice my needs. Thanks in advance for any insight given.
  • Aussiecrf230

by Aussiecrf230 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:46 pm

Hi Ryno,
    Welcome to the site.
    Like any bike they are all sprung to fit the 140-150lb rider.
    Not all of us are teenagers anymore so spring changes are generally on the agenda.
    That said I think a set of BBR springs would let the bike ride at a reasonable sag height with a 230lb rider. These springs were made to use in 150F with adults using them as trick pit bikes.
    I don't know if you would get a wheelie out of it but it would probably do 50mph with out too much trouble. There are a number of mods that make them perform a bit better. How tall are you?
    Ray
    Australia

CRF230F 2004
    C30F Power Up needle
    Mains 132
    Idle 45
    2 turns out
    Baffle out, Screens In

• Ryno

by Ryno » Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:37 am

Thanks Ray.
    I'm fairly short. Approximately 5'4". I'm comfortable sitting on the bike which is why I'm interested in this model. Along with price point and the fact that they seem to be very low maintenance.
  • Aussiecrf230

by Aussiecrf230 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:37 pm

I am about 5'8" so you must be blessed with longer legs as my feet only just get to the ground. As long as you understand it will never be a bike you can be an MX hero on, then it would be a good entry bike with the right springs. You will need to factor that into price as well as someone to do it if you are not mechanically inclined. The workshop manual is a worthwhile investment if you can do work yourself.
    Ray
    Australia

CRF230F 2004
    C30F Power Up needle
    Mains 132
    Idle 45
    2 turns out
    Baffle out, Screens In